Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Wiring garage door opener as control panel button

Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
dinki is on a distinguished road
dinki's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring garage door opener as control panel button

I hope this is the right place to put this.

I just purchased a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner and I am loving it. I'd like to modify my Clicker brand garage door opener remote

to a switch on the control panel. The idea is I press the new button I'm adding which sends the signal to the garage door remote and the door opens and I don't have to see the ugly remote. I'm familiar with electronics so what I plan to do is solder some leads onto the contact pad for the opener and run the wires to a switch that will be located in an empty button spot on the control panel. I'd then tuck the opener under the dash somewhere.

Can someone tell me what the easiest place is to add the button? I'd prefer not tearing the dash board apart. I'm thinking near the anti-skid/traction button on the left side of the steering wheel would be a good spot?

Does anyone know if I can purchase a push button that would look stock? I'm guessing they make replacement parts that could be popped into place?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Idk where to purchase a button that looks stock but awesome idea/mod
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
dinki's Tacoma Gallery
I did a bit more research and it seems like you can pop out the switch blanks above the coin tray by pushing them out from the back. I'm pretty sure the opener will fit in the coin tray so I could 'mount' it there.

I'm thinking of adding a little headphone jack type plug to the opener with the leads off the jack connecting to the contacts of the opener. Then I'd just have to wire a male headphone wire plug to the switch so I can easily disconnect to change the battery from time-to-time.

I just need to find a stock momentary switch to fit in the control panel and I'd be set. Anyone know where to buy one?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
You could just wire up a universal home link sender. Its been done. I believe its in the easy mod thread
Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
CIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the rough
CIAGDDS's Tacoma Gallery
I have done both methods (Homelink and wiring a remote to a switch). The switch method works better in my opinion. The Homelink always seemed to have a delay and didn't seem to work as far.

Here is my current setup. I wired it to the rocker switch that says Trunk Monkey. It is a regular rocker switch from OTRATTW.com but they also have momentary switches.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
dinki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You could just wire up a universal home link sender. Its been done. I believe its in the easy mod thread
I'm not familiar with home link sender but I do have just about all the parts I need for doing it this way. Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIAGDDS View Post
I have done both methods (Homelink and wiring a remote to a switch). The switch method works better in my opinion. The Homelink always seemed to have a delay and didn't seem to work as far.

Here is my current setup. I wired it to the rocker switch that says Trunk Monkey. It is a regular rocker switch from OTRATTW.com but they also have momentary switches.
Thanks for the information and the link to OTRATTW.com ... I poked around a bit and think that http://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.ph...S001-1ZZ00-000 might be what I need.

Can you tell me if all switches listed on ORTRATTW.com will fit the Tacoma dash? The one I'm looking at is in the Carling Tech Contura X and XI series.

Did you tie the led output from the opener to your lighted switch so that it lights up when you press the button? Can the opener supply enough power to light the LED on your rocker? If so, I might go that route.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
CIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the roughCIAGDDS is a jewel in the rough
CIAGDDS's Tacoma Gallery
I know the Contura V switches fit you just have to do a little trimming with a razor blade. I think there are some threads on here about it. My switches are hooked up to my dash lights so when I turn on the headlights the switches light up. I'm not sure if the remote will power the led.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Do you have a write up of how you wired that?

Also did you change the LEDs to white?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
CIAGDDS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Do you have a write up of how you wired that?

Also did you change the LEDs to white?
Yes, I changed them to white. I don't have a write up, but there are tons of them on google. All you are doing is bypassing the switch on the remote with your own, you just need two wires and a switch.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #10

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, I changed them to white. I don't have a write up, but there are tons of them on google. All you are doing is bypassing the switch on the remote with your own, you just need two wires and a switch.
Sweet. Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
The idea works.
I did the same thing with a small button hidden under the lip of my motorcycle fairing. Velcro'd the remote to the inside, remove one of the speakers to change the battery.