1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring garage door opener as control panel button

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dinki, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Apr 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    dinki

dinki [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner I4
    I hope this is the right place to put this.

I just purchased a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner and I am loving it. I'd like to modify my Clicker brand garage door opener remote

[​IMG]

to a switch on the control panel. The idea is I press the new button I'm adding which sends the signal to the garage door remote and the door opens and I don't have to see the ugly remote. I'm familiar with electronics so what I plan to do is solder some leads onto the contact pad for the opener and run the wires to a switch that will be located in an empty button spot on the control panel. I'd then tuck the opener under the dash somewhere.

Can someone tell me what the easiest place is to add the button? I'd prefer not tearing the dash board apart. I'm thinking near the anti-skid/traction button on the left side of the steering wheel would be a good spot?

Does anyone know if I can purchase a push button that would look stock? I'm guessing they make replacement parts that could be popped into place?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Apr 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    Idk where to purchase a button that looks stock but awesome idea/mod :thumbsup:

3. Apr 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    dinki

dinki [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner I4
    I did a bit more research and it seems like you can pop out the switch blanks above the coin tray by pushing them out from the back. I'm pretty sure the opener will fit in the coin tray so I could 'mount' it there.

I'm thinking of adding a little headphone jack type plug to the opener with the leads off the jack connecting to the contacts of the opener. Then I'd just have to wire a male headphone wire plug to the switch so I can easily disconnect to change the battery from time-to-time.

I just need to find a stock momentary switch to fit in the control panel and I'd be set. Anyone know where to buy one?

4. Apr 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    You could just wire up a universal home link sender. Its been done. I believe its in the easy mod thread

5. Apr 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    CIAGDDS

CIAGDDS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 TRD OR
    I have done both methods (Homelink and wiring a remote to a switch). The switch method works better in my opinion. The Homelink always seemed to have a delay and didn't seem to work as far.

Here is my current setup. I wired it to the rocker switch that says Trunk Monkey. It is a regular rocker switch from OTRATTW.com but they also have momentary switches.

[​IMG]

6. Apr 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    dinki

dinki [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner I4
    I'm not familiar with home link sender but I do have just about all the parts I need for doing it this way. Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the information and the link to OTRATTW.com ... I poked around a bit and think that http://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=V2D1S001-1ZZ00-000 might be what I need.

Can you tell me if all switches listed on ORTRATTW.com will fit the Tacoma dash? The one I'm looking at is in the Carling Tech Contura X and XI series.

Did you tie the led output from the opener to your lighted switch so that it lights up when you press the button? Can the opener supply enough power to light the LED on your rocker? If so, I might go that route.

7. Apr 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    CIAGDDS

Member:
    Corona, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 TRD OR
    I know the Contura V switches fit you just have to do a little trimming with a razor blade. I think there are some threads on here about it. My switches are hooked up to my dash lights so when I turn on the headlights the switches light up. I'm not sure if the remote will power the led.

8. Apr 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Do you have a write up of how you wired that?

Also did you change the LEDs to white?

9. Apr 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    CIAGDDS

Member:
    Corona, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes, I changed them to white. I don't have a write up, but there are tons of them on google. All you are doing is bypassing the switch on the remote with your own, you just need two wires and a switch.

10. Apr 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Sweet. Thanks

11. Apr 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The idea works.
    I did the same thing with a small button hidden under the lip of my motorcycle fairing. Velcro'd the remote to the inside, remove one of the speakers to change the battery.

Products Discussed in

To Top