1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fix for Squeaking Clutch

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by hladun, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Apr 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    hladun

hladun [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I have made a modification that stopped the squeak on my 08 clutch.

First the disclaimer. This will fix the squeak (noise) that stops when the clutch is slightly depressed. This will not cure a damaged TO bearing or transmission input tube, but I think it will prevent these failures from happening in the long run. If you do a lot of towing you might not want to do this because the fix reduces the clamp pressure of the clutch.

You need to get a mid 90's clutch MASTER cylinder from an F150. Inside you'll find a spring and collar. Remove and disassemble your slave cylinder and replace the spring with the F150 spring and collar. The collar fits on the peg of the piston that had the Toyota spring on it. It will be a bit of a struggle to reinstall the slave cylinder because the spring pre-loads the TO bearing.

The spring you need should be about 3" long, 5/8" ID with a rate of 5 to 7 lbs/in.

Many other vehicles (my experience with Porsche, Jaguar, Volvo, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, and Ford) have pre-loaded TO bearings and I've never had squeak problems with their clutches. Bearings don't like to run lose and/or slipping.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. Jan 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    Got video?

3. Jan 10, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    hladun

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    No video, but when you get the Toyota slave cylinder apart it's pretty obvious.

P.S. I did this about 2 years ago and to date no squeak and no problems.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    DaTacoNL likes this.
  4. Jan 10, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I like your fix . Hope it lasts forever but i doubt it .
    Your spring upgrade shouldnt reduce plate loading . The release bearing is constant design meaning it always turns but your pressure plate is responsible for the clamping force between the friction disc and flywheel . unless the total travel of the release bearing has changed ?

EDIT : After reading the FSM , I retract what I mentioned here as I wasnt aware at the time . Your fix will stop the noise for a short while but is it a true fix ?
    The release bearing is designed as NON constant . The Tacoma does not use a self adjusting clutch.
    As the clutch disc wears out , the fingers on the pressure plate move towards the release bearing . All you did here is make the bearing spin .
    Trust me , this is Toyotas problem for leaving the adjustability out of the 2nd gen clutch
    Feel free to pm me even if you dont trust me:D

You want a true fix for this poorly designed crap with zero adjustability .
    Make the release bearing half the size it is from factory specs . This will give the bearing a little freedom to rotate as the clutch wears in

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Powerwagon896 likes this.
  5. Jan 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    hladun

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The total travel of the release lever (release bearing) is unchanged. All that happens with the stronger spring is there is sufficient force on the release bearing to keep it turning with the pressure plate fingers without slipping/vibrating/chattering when the clutch is released (pedal up).

6. Jun 21, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    hladun

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Here's a picture of the fix. This is the slave cylinder and its internals. You replace the weaker spring (upper in photo) with a stronger one that I described (lower in photo). The Ford collar I talk about fits the new spring to the green piston. That's it problem solved!

Toyota.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    Marc70 likes this.
  7. May 15, 2015 at 11:34 AM
    hladun

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Better than ever. There is no noise and the clutch works fine. It sounds like the bearing has actually "settled in".

8. Oct 3, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    skiomax

skiomax Pro skier

Member:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TDR Sport DC
    Extang cover Thule roof rack pop & Lock Short antena Weathertech floor liner TRD skid plate Leather Seat package
    just had my slave cylinder replace and was told the new one have better spring... wont take there word for it but it sure is working way better then before.

9. Oct 3, 2015 at 10:25 PM
    hladun

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Here's a thread that shows the newer, stronger spring https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-slave-cylinder-rebuild.387315/#post-10720419 I had emailed Toyota a year or two ago about the fix so maybe that's why they're finally doing it. Part number is about $13 but there are still people out there throwing away thousands on clutch/bearing replacements. There's actually a video that shows replacing everything but the guy won't take out the slave cylinder (and fix it) because he thinks he can't bleed it...go figure. You can actually see the new TOB vibrating and making noise in a clip towards the end of the video. (2006 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L X-Runner Clutch Installation)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Truc577 likes this.
  10. Oct 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM
    bigfro

bigfro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Billy 5100 @ 1.85 + shim on L for Taco Lean Icon AAL 3 pack w Rear Overload Removed
    Sorry Yes you guys are right its that fix I am talking about.

There is a Toyota TSB for the slave. Its on this site, I have seen it somewhere.

Although if your trans bellhousing is already scared up from a cracked TOB, then I would personally use the steel sleeve + Toyota's stronger spring, but the spring will prob fix it without the sleeve.

Cheers!

11. Oct 14, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    hladun

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Searched this website and Googled and can't find the mythical TSB. If there is one I'd sure like to see it (like the TSB number perhaps)?

12. Oct 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM
    bigfro

bigfro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Billy 5100 @ 1.85 + shim on L for Taco Lean Icon AAL 3 pack w Rear Overload Removed
    Scubajules, jjgandarillas and Truc577 like this.
  13. Oct 15, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    hladun

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    The TSB just lists old and new parts which is what you'd expect. I eventually found this post which has pictures of what might be the old and new parts (no part numbers to confirm) https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tsb-clutch-chirp-need-input.160167/ The TSB requires replacement of the clutch release cylinder which is the culprit in this saga and what I've always recommended. The pictures do show a longer release cylinder but the link also shows a shorter TOB which will tend to move the release fork forward. So does the new longer cylinder apply enough preload when the fork is moved forward? Maybe/possibly/probably? I'd want to make sure there is 5 to 10 lbs of preload on the fork whatever the configuration of parts is.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  14. Oct 16, 2015 at 8:12 AM
    bigfro

bigfro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Yup i agree on all fronts. I wish I could go back after Toyota for my 05. I had 4 TOB in the thing before 50k miles and the TSB didn't come out till the engine mounts failed and collapsed into the frame.

The 05' was a nightmare. Wheel Bearings at 60k, Frame failure at 105k, 4 TOB by 50k, Transmission failure of 3rd gear synchro (new transmission at 65k)....

The 13' is so much better on all fronts....

My 05 was built in Feb of 04 so it was one of the first ones... I will never purchase a first year Tacoma again. lesson learned.

15. Nov 25, 2015 at 5:42 AM
    Sworthen16

Sworthen16 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevo
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 MT 4.0
    What year and info do you look up for the ford slave cylinder. I'm looking to do this this weekend. Hlandun

16. Nov 25, 2015 at 6:41 AM
    hladun

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    My F150 was a 95 but now I'd try the Toyota kit in the link in my post #9 above.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  17. Mar 22, 2016 at 5:30 AM
    Sworthen16

Sworthen16 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevo
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 MT 4.0
    Sorry to bother again, but was it from a v8 or v6 f150 or does it matter? I'm still going to try and use this before my chirp appears constantly. Its only periodic when temp drops below 32 and above 94 at them moment.

18. Mar 22, 2016 at 7:52 AM
    hladun

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Mine was from a 302 V8. Don't know about V6's.

19. Mar 31, 2016 at 2:49 AM
    Sworthen16

Sworthen16 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevo
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 MT 4.0
    :broccoli::fingerscrossed:Sucess! Found the correct part and swapped the spings along with using the ford collar. The slave was a bit of a struggle to re install and bleed but it only took about 30 mins. The partial chirp has now deceased for a week with no return. Also on a side note, the "new" upgraded spring in the new Toyota slave are a exact match to the existing one with no poundage diff.

20. Mar 31, 2016 at 8:53 AM
    hladun

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Glad it worked. If you have to struggle a bit to get the slave cylinder in then you know you've got the right solution.

Products Discussed in

To Top