1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Transfer Case/ Axle Question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by alibongo, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Apr 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    alibongo

alibongo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alexander
    Golden, CO
    Hello TacomaWorld,

I am new the forums and new to a 2004 tacoma. I purchased it up in Leadville Colorado.

I was hoping to get some guidance on two potential issues.

CV Boot/Axle Issue:

It seems like the entire area is covered in grime, I don't know if its just grease from the fittings or something worse, it seems odd to me.

What could be causing this?

Transfer case Issue:

The tcase seems to be leaking very slowly from the bottom where it connects to the driveshaft.

Would this be normal for a tacoma with 130,000 miles? Would you say the seal needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any replies, I.m hoping to get it out on the trails soon!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. Apr 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The first couple pics are of your power steering rack. Appears to be leaking power steering fluid but I don't know enough about them to help you fix a leak...

Is the leak on the bottom of the tcase coming from the fill or drain plugs? Might just need to drain/fill plug gaskets for them. Have you tried wiping it all down and seeing if it returns. Could have just spilled fluid on it while filling it possibly. Not sure about replacing a seal on the rear shaft of the Tcase, but I'm sure it is doable.

3. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    ^Like BradyT88 said, your first pics are the steering rack and just above. I'd check the lines coming from your steering pump. They might be old and cracked.

For the second pick, I'd check the fill/drain plugs, like mentioned above. But, if that doesn't work, it might be that the case was bumped before the previous owner put skids on. If that's the case, you might have to pull the T-case, separate the halves and put new RTV in there. I did that on mine when I was doing my dual case setup. I used "The Right Stuff" and don't have any drips or leaks. It's good stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top