Notices

Tacoma Transfer Case/ Axle Question

Old 04-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
alibongo is on a distinguished road
Name: Alexander
alibongo's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Transfer Case/ Axle Question

Hello TacomaWorld,

I am new the forums and new to a 2004 tacoma. I purchased it up in Leadville Colorado.

I was hoping to get some guidance on two potential issues.

CV Boot/Axle Issue:

It seems like the entire area is covered in grime, I don't know if its just grease from the fittings or something worse, it seems odd to me.

What could be causing this?

Transfer case Issue:

The tcase seems to be leaking very slowly from the bottom where it connects to the driveshaft.

Would this be normal for a tacoma with 130,000 miles? Would you say the seal needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any replies, I.m hoping to get it out on the trails soon!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
The first couple pics are of your power steering rack. Appears to be leaking power steering fluid but I don't know enough about them to help you fix a leak...

Is the leak on the bottom of the tcase coming from the fill or drain plugs? Might just need to drain/fill plug gaskets for them. Have you tried wiping it all down and seeing if it returns. Could have just spilled fluid on it while filling it possibly. Not sure about replacing a seal on the rear shaft of the Tcase, but I'm sure it is doable.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
^Like BradyT88 said, your first pics are the steering rack and just above. I'd check the lines coming from your steering pump. They might be old and cracked.

For the second pick, I'd check the fill/drain plugs, like mentioned above. But, if that doesn't work, it might be that the case was bumped before the previous owner put skids on. If that's the case, you might have to pull the T-case, separate the halves and put new RTV in there. I did that on mine when I was doing my dual case setup. I used "The Right Stuff" and don't have any drips or leaks. It's good stuff.