Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Toyota coolant..and converting

Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota coolant..and converting

I know that you aren't supposed to mix the usual green coolant with the Toyota coolant..don't worry, I didn't!

This came up recently..GM had the Dexcool (AKA Deathcool) and some people were flushing it entirely and converting to the green, due to issues with the Dexcool.

Is it possible to do the same with Toyota's red stuff? And have there been issues with the Toyota stuff that would cause a change to be beneficial?

Discuss.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC the Toyota red is fine. The Toyota pink is what's causing problems.

Don't quote me on that though
Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
What problems? I haven't heard anything about any tacoma coolant issues
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard of the pink (giggitty) messing up the water pump, at least on first gens.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Either the red or the pink, how would one convert over?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Flush system thoroughly and fill with desired coolant
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I flushed the Toyota red coolant after 3 years on my 09. Moved to Prestone, cheaper, easier to find, and I usually flush the coolant every 2-3 years anyway.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Years ago, on an earlier '84 Toyota, I converted from green to red Toyota OEM coolant. Immediately, I had leaks where I didn't have them before. Not severe leaks, but constant, slow, oozing leaks of the red stuff. Nothing dripped to the ground.

At the next coolant change, I went back to good ol' Prestone, and no more leaks.

YMMV
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Pre 2004 is Toyota long life(red) 2004+ Toyota super long life(pink). You can drain and flush all pink coolant out and fill with what ever you want. However if you overheat your engine or any other cooling related problems you will be on your own for repairs. I have seen where other shops have flushed with the wrong coolant with no issues to the vehicle at the next flush.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Is Toyota red (the non premixed stuff) compatible with the pink in 2005+ taco's?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Years ago, on an earlier '84 Toyota, I converted from green to red Toyota OEM coolant. Immediately, I had leaks where I didn't have them before. Not severe leaks, but constant, slow, oozing leaks of the red stuff. Nothing dripped to the ground.

At the next coolant change, I went back to good ol' Prestone, and no more leaks.

YMMV

if the convert back hadn't fixed the leaks I would have said that maybe you knocked some 'clotting' loose that were stopping oozing leaks with the first flush.

I had people tell me years ago with old trucks "Whatever you do, don't flush the coolent unless it's shit brown, the sediment closes up leaks for you and a flush will cause leaks"
Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyotaco06 View Post
Is Toyota red (the non premixed stuff) compatible with the pink in 2005+ taco's?
Acording to a 2002 tsb it is safe to mix. Personally I would not, if I had to use long life is would flush and fill with long life
Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
It is difficult to get all of the red/pink coolant out of the system. There will still be some residual left in the radiator, heater core, and engine. You would have to flush the system well, with the thermostat removed, and pull the heater core lines to flush them independantly.
If you don't get the old stuff out, and convert to green, it will react and turn to a gel. I don't recommend using anything other than the factory coolant. You are risking much for very little reward.