Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Recommended Fluids

Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Recommended Fluids

2006 4X4 Double Cab TRD Offroad. Automatic...120K miles all on dino oil.

Please recommend me the best oils - brand, weight, etc... for

Rear diff
Front diff
Transfer case
Coolant
Power Steering Fluid
ATF
Engine oil

I assume, OEM oil filter, air filter, aftermarket cabin filter (save $), and OEM spark plugs will be optimal?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJDub View Post

Rear diff
Front diff
Transfer case
Coolant
Power Steering Fluid
ATF
Engine oil

I assume, OEM oil filter, air filter, aftermarket cabin filter (save $), and OEM spark plugs will be optimal?

Thanks.
ATF u have no choice safely......go with toyota WS

Coolant use oem red

Engine.....5w30

As for ALL filters, I've found the best deals at the dealer.....buy a couple oil and air/cabin at 1 time and get a break.

Napa and kragen couldn't even come close.

Plugs also should be oem
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

93civEJ1's Tacoma Gallery
ATF he does have a choice...Valvoline Maxlife is compatible as a WS fluid.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
What about differentials and transfer?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about differentials and transfer?
2wd w/ off road package here - for the rear differential I use Mobil 1 75-90 syn...works great. Would assume that the same could be used for the front, although others would know more though...
Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Zacattack1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Zac
Zacattack1's Tacoma Gallery
Ok to use just water instead of windshield washer fluid?

I have 06 toyota tacoma 2.7l sr5 per-runner truck. A little off the topic here. I've just been adding water in wind shield washer fluid, is this a bad thing. Does it really matter? Will just water instead of washer fluid make a difference regarding the water pump for the wipers?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacattack1 View Post
I have 06 toyota tacoma 2.7l sr5 per-runner truck. A little off the topic here. I've just been adding water in wind shield washer fluid, is this a bad thing. Does it really matter? Will just water instead of washer fluid make a difference regarding the water pump for the wipers?
unless san diego has a really hard freeze i think you'll be ok. the washer fluid is probably better than water at getting the bugs/road grime off though.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #8
Zacattack1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Zac
Zacattack1's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, the dealer ship here said water has minerals in it, and can cause a build up, and maybe cause problems later. Said screw it and just went and bought some windshield washer fluid.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Rear diff - 80W-90, use your favorite reputable brand
Front diff - 75W-90, use your favorite reputable brand
Transfer case - Same as front differential
Coolant - Toyota coolant
Power Steering Fluid - No idea, haven't touched mine yet
ATF - Toyota WS
Engine oil - 5W-30, Toyota or your favorite reputable brand. Mobil 1 is a popular choice and what I use.

I use all OEM filters and spark plugs.

Thanks.
Answers in bold.

FWIW, this is all in your manual also...
Old 04-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Mike, please don't make us read the manual. what do you think we are here, wicked smaht?