1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing a wiper switch on a 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by RedTacoDriver, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Apr 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    RedTacoDriver

RedTacoDriver [OP] Out of my mind....be back later.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7L
    BakFlipG2, Westin Nerf Bars, Harbor Freight Bed Jacks, Flame Devil Horns, vinyl raven emblems, intermittent wiper switch swapout More to come.
    I got tired of not having intermittent wipers on my 2012 so I purchased a wiper switch with an intermittent setting from Slatercat. Here is the installation procedures.

[​IMG]

Turn the wheel to the left and remove the phillips head screw located at the bottom of the turn signal.

[​IMG]

Turn the wheel to the right and remove the phillips head screw located at the bottom of the wiper switch.

Return the wheel to the center, remove your keys (Needed for turning the wheel), press in on the lower shield and pull down. This should pop loose the lower shield. When it is loose you will need to remove it on the left side first as you will need to have slack to work it over the ignition switch.

[​IMG]

Once the shield is removed you will need put the key in again and crank the wheel to the right. The easiest way is to press in on the release tabs on the wiring (Marked C & D on the above wiring) and gently pull the wires to one side. Unlock the latch at the point marked B. This should release enough tension to keep it from relatching. Finally you will need to take a screw driver and press in on the latch marked A. This is the reason you need to crank the wheel to the right as I had a bear of a time trying to reach it any other way. Once the latch is release you can remove the old switch.

Installing the new switch is just the reverse process. Pushing the switch in will lock the latch marked A. You will need to press the switch in and manually engage the latch marked B. With the harnesses going into C & D being sized differently it is easy to get things rewired quickly and correctly.

That leaves the lower shield. Return the wheel to the neutral position and remove your key. Slide the end of the shield back into the dash and gently position the right side of the shield over the ignition switch. Pressing gently inward on the top of the lower shield while pushing down on the upper shield. They should pop together and lock. Finally put the key in and turn the wheel and install the phillips head screws.

This whole process should take you about 20 minutes tops.

ole likes this.
  2. Jul 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    ThePattonTank

ThePattonTank New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Bucks County, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma reg cab 2WD
    Pioneer DEH-X6500BT stereo CD receiver, Pioneer TS-A1305C component speaker system
    Will this work on a 2010 Tacoma? I absolutely love my truck but I cannot stand the lack of intermittent wipers.

3. Jul 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    2009+ should all be the same.

4. Jul 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    RedTacoDriver

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    BakFlipG2, Westin Nerf Bars, Harbor Freight Bed Jacks, Flame Devil Horns, vinyl raven emblems, intermittent wiper switch swapout More to come.
    I have a 2012 truck with a pre 2009 wiper switch as I don't like the new 1 speed only intermittent wiper.

5. Feb 18, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    RedTacoDriver

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
  6. Feb 21, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    The switch is about $120 on Ebay. Super easy to do and wouldn't you know it, it hasn't rained once since I installed it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top