Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing a wiper switch on a 2nd Gen

Old 04-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Out of my mind....be back later.
RedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT 262d CCS WANG
Name: Dale
RedTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Changing a wiper switch on a 2nd Gen

I got tired of not having intermittent wipers on my 2012 so I purchased a wiper switch with an intermittent setting from Slatercat. Here is the installation procedures.

Turn the wheel to the left and remove the phillips head screw located at the bottom of the turn signal.

Turn the wheel to the right and remove the phillips head screw located at the bottom of the wiper switch.

Return the wheel to the center, remove your keys (Needed for turning the wheel), press in on the lower shield and pull down. This should pop loose the lower shield. When it is loose you will need to remove it on the left side first as you will need to have slack to work it over the ignition switch.

Once the shield is removed you will need put the key in again and crank the wheel to the right. The easiest way is to press in on the release tabs on the wiring (Marked C & D on the above wiring) and gently pull the wires to one side. Unlock the latch at the point marked B. This should release enough tension to keep it from relatching. Finally you will need to take a screw driver and press in on the latch marked A. This is the reason you need to crank the wheel to the right as I had a bear of a time trying to reach it any other way. Once the latch is release you can remove the old switch.

Installing the new switch is just the reverse process. Pushing the switch in will lock the latch marked A. You will need to press the switch in and manually engage the latch marked B. With the harnesses going into C & D being sized differently it is easy to get things rewired quickly and correctly.

That leaves the lower shield. Return the wheel to the neutral position and remove your key. Slide the end of the shield back into the dash and gently position the right side of the shield over the ignition switch. Pressing gently inward on the top of the lower shield while pushing down on the upper shield. They should pop together and lock. Finally put the key in and turn the wheel and install the phillips head screws.

This whole process should take you about 20 minutes tops.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
ThePattonTank is on a distinguished road
Name: Charlie
ThePattonTank's Tacoma Gallery
Need variable intermittent wipers

Will this work on a 2010 Tacoma? I absolutely love my truck but I cannot stand the lack of intermittent wipers.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
RedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have a 2012 truck with a pre 2009 wiper switch as I don't like the new 1 speed only intermittent wiper.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

bump.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
The switch is about $120 on Ebay. Super easy to do and wouldn't you know it, it hasn't rained once since I installed it.