1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interference in CB and radio when engine is on

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dad32509, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Apr 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    dad32509

dad32509 [OP] Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    I helped my friend put in an aftermarket double din stereo in his truck a couple months ago, and after we got it all hooked up we had some interference in the audio. It gets worse when something electrical comes on, like the windshield wipers, or A/C. We thought maybe we had a bad ground, but I ran a ground wire to the engine cab and tried all ground cables behind the stereo and have the same issue.

Yesterday we installed a cb radio in his truck, and the exact same thing is happening in the cb. We didnt tie the cb into anything. Straight power to the battery, and ground to a bolt on the engine cab that the negative on the battery was also going to. Any feedback or info would be awesome. Thanks :D

2. Apr 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 [OP] Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    Anyone?

3. Apr 21, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    Maybe try a different ground location

4. Apr 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Whine that increases with engine rpm? Alternator
    Static that increases with rpm? Spark

Alternator whine can be cleaned up with a filter.

Spark noise fixed with resistive core wires. Better shielded coax to antenna may help, different path to run antenna may help, but the antenna is picking up the rfi generated by the spark.
    However my 2013 has direct connected plugs to the coils, so I'd be screwed as for changing spark plug wires as a solution.

My factory radio does have some whine with the wipers on, ESP on AM. Considered a filter for the wiper motor, but then I don't use am

If you have a ham radio shop nearby, see them re a filter. Goes between alternator output and ground. A good car audio shop should have them too. Also filters to put on power wire at the radio are available.

Start there. Spark noise is harder to address, though they may have some ideas.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. Jul 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    Junebug55210

Junebug55210 2011 TRD Sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD Sport 4.0
    Cat back magnaflow, toolbox, camo seat covers
    You want to run the power wire straight to the battery and have a ground no longer than a couple feet.

Products Discussed in

To Top