Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Locking gas door nightmare

Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Locking gas door nightmare

I found out the hard way that the keyed gas door locks are for looks only and just a visual deterrent for a thief. There's a plastic piece on the key cylinder that can break if the door is pulled on. I broke one on a customers truck and was forced to use the one from my 99. I then broke the second one while installing it onto the key cylinder.

A simple run to the salvage yard should be the cure...wrong. Nothing. A call to dealer and I discover a new one is $80! Ouch! I end up buying one for the customer's truck and now I have a truck with a gas door that can flop around.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Yep...but don't the Tacomas have screens that prevent siphoning?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Yep...but don't the Tacomas have screens that prevent siphoning?
Mine doesn't.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
If you see me driving my 99 and the gas door is open, chances are I just cornered hard to the right. I wasn't about to buy me a new one too for that price. I'll keep searching the yard until one comes around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVDDxoKBk4
Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
All of the vehicles have a design in the tank inlet itself to prevent siphoning. It is not in the filler neck, it is at the tank itself.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
All of the vehicles have a design in the tank inlet itself to prevent siphoning. It is not in the filler neck, it is at the tank itself.
I hate new clever inventions that are one day going to screw me when I need to siphon gas from my own vehicle. Old trucks for me please.

UPDATE: I've come to the conclusion I like my gas door better this way compared to when I had to bring a key out with me. It's 100 times easier. Just open door & fill up. Plus it never opens on it's own, but then I haven't cornered hard to the right yet either.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is broken, too. Was when I bought it. The previous owner likely had a gasoline theft attempt. The key cylinder is still there, so thieves would think that its locked. Now I just use a rubber band to hold it closed. Works for me.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Mine is broken, too. Was when I bought it. The previous owner likely had a gasoline theft attempt. The key cylinder is still there, so thieves would think that its locked. Now I just use a rubber band to hold it closed. Works for me.
yeah I use nothing, hasn't opened yet. Has the key slot so it looks locked. I like it better compared to when I had to use a key but I'll keep searching the yard for the plastic piece I need.