Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Slider Finish

View Poll Results: What's your slider finish?
rattle can 31 30.10%
powder coat 12 11.65%
bed liner finish 31 30.10%
I don't have sliders but I want some 27 26.21%
What's a slider? 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
\m/ armor on meats \m/
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Flat black rustoleum rattle can for me.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
Hoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
im doing my Avid bumpers and sliders in Raptor bedliner this week i hope.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Bought mine PC, wish I had gotten the raw and canned em so they could be touched up. Which brings up an important question, what is the best method to touch up PCed stuff?
Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Can't you just scuff and rattle can over the powder coat?
Yes. I've done that a lot. Rustoleum Satin is a close match to black PC.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
I am a little surprised there are as many votes for bed liner as there are. I tend to think those in favor of the bed liner don't use the sliders to their potential, or at all. More expensive and a lot harder to touch up... although I am not familiar with the rustoleum spray stuff floridaoccifer mentioned. Those seem to be only $11-$13 a can and maybe don't require as much BS to apply.

I personally would stay away from hard paints like rustoleum enamel and hammered. They chip easier. If you don't have much rocks/gravel in your area maybe that's not a concern. I live in the rocky desert, use the hell out of them, I'm cheap, and I want easy touch-up. Rustoleum Satin, $3.50 a can works great. If I had a nice shiny vehicle and cared more about looks, and didn't wheel as hard, I might consider a liner... bottom line it's contextual.
THIS! Bedliner would be the last thing I'd use on sliders or bumpers or anything that's going to get scraped on the rocks. Besides being hard to touch up, it looks like crap when it scrapes off. And it WILL scrape off! Often it will peel off in large chunks too.

I've always used Rustoleum Satin. Works great and looks close to the finish of PC. Easy to touch up.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I think probably the best I've seen is rattle can bed liner
Agree with that. Toughness of bed liner and ease of touch up from rattle can. My old rangers bumper was painted this way and I never had an issue with touch ups.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #28
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am a little surprised there are as many votes for bed liner as there are. I tend to think those in favor of the bed liner don't use the sliders to their potential, or at all. More expensive and a lot harder to touch up... although I am not familiar with the rustoleum spray stuff floridaoccifer mentioned. Those seem to be only $11-$13 a can and maybe don't require as much BS to apply.

I personally would stay away from hard paints like rustoleum enamel and hammered. They chip easier. If you don't have much rocks/gravel in your area maybe that's not a concern. I live in the rocky desert, use the hell out of them, I'm cheap, and I want easy touch-up. Rustoleum Satin, $3.50 a can works great. If I had a nice shiny vehicle and cared more about looks, and didn't wheel as hard, I might consider a liner... bottom line it's contextual.
Thats my vote, love the satin black.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #29
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
THIS! Bedliner would be the last thing I'd use on sliders or bumpers or anything that's going to get scraped on the rocks. Besides being hard to touch up, it looks like crap when it scrapes off. And it WILL scrape off! Often it will peel off in large chunks too.

I've always used Rustoleum Satin. Works great and looks close to the finish of PC. Easy to touch up.
Flats even easier to touch up, but I do like some sheen.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #30
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
Thats my vote, love the satin black.
Yep, best choice for me... and I think that's the point, for me.

Some people love bedliner and I tend to think they are the ones who have plasti-dipped everything and put in a lot of miles around malls... or just have a ton of money to blow

But like I said, I'm not too familiar with the supposedly easier and cheaper rattle can bedliner stuff, maybe it's a bit more practical than the traditional bedliner for sliders that actually get used.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #32
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Rustoleum Primer and Rustoleum rattle can Truck Bed Liner. Have already had to touch up a couple spots because I don't have mud flaps and little rocks get thrown onto the "inner legs."

Matt
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #33
miacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud of

Name: Mike
miacevedo's Tacoma Gallery
I just coated mine in Semi-gloss POR-15, then sanded and sprayed with Rustoleum flat textured for grip. Looks great.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #34
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by miacevedo View Post
I just coated mine in Semi-gloss POR-15, then sanded and sprayed with Rustoleum flat textured for grip. Looks great.
Seems like a lot of extra trouble for nothing. Apply, sand, apply some more. So what happens when you get scratches... apply, sand, apply some more again? That would get old. I suppose if you never actually use your sliders it's not an issue though. But even if I didn't use them I wouldn't bother with the expense and trouble of POR-15 unless rust was a very serious issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
miacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud of

Name: Mike
miacevedo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Seems like a lot of extra trouble for nothing. Apply, sand, apply some more. So what happens when you get scratches... apply, sand, apply some more again? That would get old. I suppose if you never actually use your sliders it's not an issue though. But even if I didn't use them I wouldn't bother with the expense and trouble of POR-15 unless rust was a very serious issue.
Well, rust was the issue. The paint was chipping off and they had a few areas of rust from scratches and scrapes. I used buffer pads on an air tool to remove the rust, then applied the POR15. POR is supposed to prevent rust and is also scratch and water resistant... which makes it a good undercoat. When I sanded the POR to spray the Rustoleum, that was just to scuff up the surface so the paint can stick better. IDK about you, but my sliders are welded on and getting the old paint off and re-coating them was a pain. I'd rather do it once and not worry about it again... just touch up with the textured Rustoleum (which also hide imperfections and scratches) when/if they do get scratched up.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #36
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel

Easiest, cheapest, and most durable way to do it. $5 a can at Lowes.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #37
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel

Easiest, cheapest, and most durable way to do it. $5 a can at Lowes.
I ended up going with this. Looks good so far... Then again they are still sitting in my living room. Need to get those bad boys welded on and test em out
Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #38
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still not sure what I'd prefer to use. Bed liner or Rustoleum paint. I really prefer the bed liner, but it seems like it's 50/50 on how well people say it holds up and how easy it is to touch up...
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #39
LI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLI Kevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
LI Kevin's Tacoma Gallery
Herculiner and dabbing it on with a brush. Came out great. Perfect grip and it covers really well. Cant brush it on tho or the media thats in the paint will just brush away.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #40
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
For the rustoleum satin do you guys just apply with a paint brush? How many coats do you apply?