Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Slider Finish

View Poll Results: What's your slider finish?
rattle can 31 30.10%
powder coat 12 11.65%
bed liner finish 31 30.10%
I don't have sliders but I want some 27 26.21%
What's a slider? 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Slider Finish

Just got some sliders for the truck and trying to decide what finish to do. I am mainly considering powdercoat (for more durability) vs rattle can (for easy touch ups since I plan to use them). Also considered bedliner but hear its harder to touch up.

I will be putting something grippy on the top regardless

So, what finish do you have on your sliders, why, and how do you like it?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
rattle can and some grip tape on top
Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Brush on rustoleum enamel.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
rattle can and some grip tape on top

Yes, and grip tape
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Rustoleum Black Satin... for my wheels, sliders, rear bumper and toprack. Cheap, simple, looks good, fairly durable, and easy touch-ups.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
On the Heep, not the Taco. Rattle can gets my vote. They get replaced about every other year anyway.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about grip tape . Are you sleeping on them ?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Not sure about grip tape . Are you sleeping on them ?
I tend to date short chicks for some reason
Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I'd probably do grip tape if my sliders were round tube. The angled square is easy to stand on though.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
I love snow!

I habe hybrid sliders. They stick out a ways and someone (probably me) is going to try to use them as a step and slip... Im not so tall and my truck is lifted. . So some sort of grip is going on them
Old 05-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #11
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
I tend to date short chicks for some reason
Yeah I thought of that ( using as step ) after I posted . I would make sure it on the top/inward side . I'd hate for my leg to rub against it .
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #12
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Powdercoat
Old 05-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
mc79 is on a distinguished road
mc79's Tacoma Gallery
Been doing this long time in Hills of WV.

I agree with Steve O 77

Can't beat Brush on rustoleum enamel. Start looking bad little bit sand paper and brush on more..
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
Civil Servant
floridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
floridaoccifer's Tacoma Gallery
I just finished mine with the Rustoleum bed liner rattlecan
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #15
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dtmccray's Tacoma Gallery
Rattle can then sprayed rubberized undercoating on top with sand in it.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I think probably the best I've seen is rattle can bed liner, unless you're not going to use them much and then maybe powdercoat would work out well.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Brush-on black rust paint worked the best in my experience. Scratches are easy to touch up, too.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaoccifer View Post
I just finished mine with the Rustoleum bed liner rattlecan
That's what I plan to use.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I am a little surprised there are as many votes for bed liner as there are. I tend to think those in favor of the bed liner don't use the sliders to their potential, or at all. More expensive and a lot harder to touch up... although I am not familiar with the rustoleum spray stuff floridaoccifer mentioned. Those seem to be only $11-$13 a can and maybe don't require as much BS to apply.

I personally would stay away from hard paints like rustoleum enamel and hammered. They chip easier. If you don't have much rocks/gravel in your area maybe that's not a concern. I live in the rocky desert, use the hell out of them, I'm cheap, and I want easy touch-up. Rustoleum Satin, $3.50 a can works great. If I had a nice shiny vehicle and cared more about looks, and didn't wheel as hard, I might consider a liner... bottom line it's contextual.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Rustoleum bed liner is tough, takes little to no prep, and is easy to touch up. It kind of forms itself back in with the rest of the bed liner when touching up, or at least that's from my experience on other parts.