Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Annoying Clunking Sound Question

Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
Annoying Clunking Sound Question

I've noticed the sound for the last couple of years. It seems like it happens pretty often and regardless of if the truck has just been cranked or running for a while. I really started noticing it whenever I'm driving next to something like large buildings downtown, and the sound echoes back. It's not ridiculously loud, usually I notice it when I'm driving downtown with the windows down and a lot of times when I put the truck in reverse pulling out of a parking spot. It basically sounds like the "clank" of an aluminum Coke can, but obviously louder, from underneath the truck. Also, it isn't the brakes, I already looked at those threads and it doesn't happen when I press the brakes. It doesn't seem to really do anything else after it makes the clunk sound and overall the truck seems fine. The noise is just really annoying and I can't re-create the noise to look for it myself. I finally thought about posting it today for the first time, does anybody have any idea?

On a side note, I have the OME lift, 885 coils, nitro shocks all around, AAL, and the 1/4" spacer I think. Will upgrading UCA's make my front suspension ride a little smoother and not feel like it's "bottoming out" so bad?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
I've noticed the sound for the last couple of years. It seems like it happens pretty often and regardless of if the truck has just been cranked or running for a while. I really started noticing it whenever I'm driving next to something like large buildings downtown, and the sound echoes back. It's not ridiculously loud, usually I notice it when I'm driving downtown with the windows down and

a lot of times when I put the truck in reverse pulling out of a parking spot

It basically sounds like the "clank" of an aluminum Coke can, but obviously louder, from underneath the truck.

Also, it isn't the brakes, I already looked at those threads and it doesn't happen when I press the brakes. It doesn't seem to really do anything

else after it makes the clunk sound and overall the truck seems fine. The noise is just really annoying and I can't re-create the noise to look for it myself. I finally thought about posting it today for the first time, does anybody have any idea?

On a side note, I have the OME lift, 885 coils, nitro shocks all around, AAL, and the 1/4" spacer I think. Will upgrading UCA's make my front suspension ride a little smoother and not feel like it's "bottoming out" so bad?

Thanks!

ok.................it doesnt do it when ur on the brakes u say............

find a bumpy road, drive down it with foot off the brakes.....

then do it again LIGHTLY dragging the brakes.

my brakes do clunk after the pads wear down a little and I know its them because I went over the same spot in the road a half dozen times....everytime I hit the convex part with no foot on brakes it clunked.

everytime I hit that spot lightly dragging the brakes......It didnt clunk

u also say it does it when u reverse out of a parking spot............thats usually the brakes shifting.

make sure ur swaybar (if its on) isnt hitting anything
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
ok.................it doesnt do it when ur on the brakes u say............

find a bumpy road, drive down it with foot off the brakes.....

then do it again LIGHTLY dragging the brakes.

my brakes do clunk after the pads wear down a little and I know its them because I went over the same spot in the road a half dozen times....everytime I hit the convex part with no foot on brakes it clunked.

everytime I hit that spot lightly dragging the brakes......It didnt clunk

u also say it does it when u reverse out of a parking spot............thats usually the brakes shifting.

make sure ur swaybar (if its on) isnt hitting anything
Well maybe it could be the brakes then. I guess I assumed it wasn't the brakes because I'm not pushing the brakes when it happens. I haven't changed the brakes since I've had the truck and I don't think the previous owner changed them either. I'll check into it. Thanks man.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
u got it........it drove me nuts till I tried the dragging of my brakes and now im not worried

I did order some EBC stage 5 kit from Marco at 4WP in chula vista......awesome guy!