1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission cooler

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by DPCardoza, May 1, 2013.

1. May 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    DPCardoza

DPCardoza [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuba City
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Sport Long Bed
    I've got an 06 with the towing package with transmission cooler but assuming my Torque app was reading my temps correctly, I'm still running warmer than I'd like while towing my Jayco 23B. I weighed the trailer empty and it weighted 4025 and there is no way I had any more than 1000 lbs worth of stuff. Ambient temps were in the 80's. Coolant temp never reached 200. Transmission temp #1 (pan I believe) was running in the 220 and briefly peaked at 250 on a long straight incline. #2 (coil I believe) ran in the low 200's. In doing some research it looks like there are better, more efficient coolers out there.
    http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/category/hayden-transaver-cooler.html
    I was thinking about going with either the 1678 or 1679, both of which I've seen pics installed in Tacoma's in older threads. I found this site with a ton of choices but I couldn't really tell you what I'm looking for.
    http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=transmission cooler
    Is the larger cooler inherently better or are there other factors I need to take into account. Does anybody has any experience with these and if they saw a noticeable improvement? Anybody have any opinions on anything better out there? From my research it looks like the plate and fin type is better at cooling.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. May 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
  3. May 5, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    DPCardoza

Member:
    Yuba City
    Vehicle:
    Ended up buying the B&M 70264 which is rated at 14,400 btu. Has anybody ran their auxillary cooler in series with the TRD one? I'm curious if I should replace it or just add the B&M to it.

4. May 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    jmg256

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    You could do it...unnecessary, imo. There is also the possibility of overcooling the fluid to the point of being below optimal operating temp, which is between 150*-180*f. Any number of problems can result, such as hard shifts and others

My phone won't let me add a link for whatever reason....Google "overcool transmission" or bob is the oil guy has good info

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  5. May 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    DPCardoza

Member:
    Yuba City
    Vehicle:
    This may be a dumb question but here it goes. My truck has 65k on it and the tranny fluid is good for 100k. In order to avoid a lot of money and hassle, is it possible to fill up the new cooler with tranny fluid after hooking up the hose to one side? I have no idea how much fluid it will take and I'll lose in the change so my simple mind thought this was a simple solution.

6. May 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    jmg256

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  7. May 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    jmg256

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    I forgot to add info to the other post...here goes...

Toyota revised the service interval from 100,000 mi to 60k on the automatic trans. You are there now. Might as well take the opportunity, while its open, to do a full service...I would. Cheap to do (realitively).

Products Discussed in

To Top