Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Propeller Shaft, How to Torque

Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Propeller Shaft, How to Torque

Today while performing the 15K service, I realized there was going to be an issue when it came time to re-torque the Propeller Shaft (drive shaft) to factory specifications. The issue at hand was being able to properly torque the propeller shaft at the rear differential without using an extension and 3/8 universal joint.

I thought over the problem for a few minutes and came up with an idea. I decided to use a Motion Pro torque wrench adapter (14&12mm) that I had from a previous project. The wrench simply connects to your 3/8 drive torque wrench and creates a 3 inch extension of the torque wrench. This is VERY useful in tight situations, where getting a socket in place is just not possible. Now I do realize that it would more then likely be possible to access the fasteners from the front of the flange, but this would require an extension and probably a universal joint adapter which would effect your torque readings. Fasteners should always be tightened from the 'nut' end rather than the bolt head when applicable.

Bellow are a few pictures I snapped to depict the process. There is some simple math involved with calculating the torque specifications that are dependent on the length of your torque wrench and the desired final torque output. Anyone who graduated High School could easily pull this off.

If anyone is interested the torque wrench adapter can be purchased direct from Motion Pro for $14.50, and comes with plenty of clearly stated instructions.

Adapter and Torque Wrench (adapter must be used in a parallel position to the torque wrench)

Adapter and Instructions

Setup In-Use
Torque Universal Joint Flange Yoke to 65 ft.lbs.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
dgtacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: dg
dgtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
you must ride dirt bikes. motion pro is a tool company for motorcycles. rode with the owner on a few rides. great company.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up. You might want to mention that if you ARE going to use a torque extension, that there is a formula that must be followed to adjust for the additional length that this adapter adds.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Holy thread resurrection.

I got a couple of Cornwell extenders for my suspension swapout (main eye bolt right next to the gas tank, and also the three top nuts at the top of the coils) and because of the propeller shaft torquing requirement.

I found this online calculator for determining how to adjust the torque to account for the additional length (moments) of the extension.

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueE...eExtension.htm