Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Strange vaccuum noise on shutdown.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Johnmark101 is on a distinguished road
Johnmark101's Tacoma Gallery
Strange vaccuum noise on shutdown.

Just picked up a new Tacoma. Really like the truck so far. However I am hearing a strange noise when shutting off the motor. It sounds like a purge or release of vaccuum pressure.....almost a whistle sound. I really don't like fooling with the local dealer any more than necessary and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their truck. Truck seems to perform just fine and there are no lights on to indicate a problem. For what it's worth I have a V6 PreRunner with the towing package.

Regards......John.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same thing...I think it's something to do with new emission standards...
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
gym_jamz's Tacoma Gallery
Smog Pump
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Oops.....just found another thread about this very subject. Seems it is normal but it also appears to be annoying to many owners. As long as it is part of the normal functioning of the truck it does not bother me, but I am betting Toyota comes up with some sort of fix if enough people complain.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmark101 View Post
Oops.....just found another thread about this very subject. Seems it is normal but it also appears to be annoying to many owners. As long as it is part of the normal functioning of the truck it does not bother me, but I am betting Toyota comes up with some sort of fix if enough people complain.
Toyota come up with a fix if enough people complain? Oh, you are being serious...

I wouldn't even think abou holding my breath on that one - I say this because look at how the driveline issues haven't been properly dealt with...or frame rust...or....
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It is normal, mine seems to only do it when I do not let the truck warm up or if I drive for a very short distance
Old 05-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Mine seems to do this every time it is shut off.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
gym_jamz's Tacoma Gallery
Basically sounds like this when shut off. Mine does the same. Completely normal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7dH-1CYbs
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
So.....is this pump creating pressure at shutdown? Anyone know what the purpose of this is? Does this inject exta air into the intake mainfold at start up?

I can accept this as normal but am curious as to the design purpose.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So.....is this pump creating pressure at shutdown? Anyone know what the purpose of this is? Does this inject exta air into the intake mainfold at start up?

I can accept this as normal but am curious as to the design purpose.
Exhaust.
Fresh air to aid the cat in removing any remaining unburned hydrocarbons.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #11
trj147 is on a distinguished road
trj147's Tacoma Gallery
annoying is an understatement. it sounds most like a defective bearing. listen closely, the noise is there about 10 - 15 seconds after start up, but is less noticeable because of vehicle sound.. turbo chargers make less noise.