1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

which alarm should i get

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ezjumper8, May 5, 2013.

1. May 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    ezjumper8

ezjumper8 [OP] Ethan

Member:
    First Name:
    ethan
    camp pendleton, ca
    Vehicle:
    white tacoma dbl cab 4WD sport
    20% tint all around, blacked out badges, flowmaster 40 series and tip, rock hood deflectors, window deflectors, home made baja bumper, 17" XDseries wheels on some nitto terra grapplers, bright white led interior lights, blue needle on white gauges, cb antenna, with cobra radio.
    im look into getting either the viper 5901, python 991, viper 5704. they sell them pretty cheap on Amazon, not sure if it comes with everything i need. im trying to get one with automatic start, lock and unlock, and a range of up to a mile. any advice would help, thanks guys

2. May 20, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I have the Viper 5704 and I really like it. I haven't tested the distance on the remote myself, but lots of people say that it works from the middle of the mall or back of the grocery store just fine. The farthest that I remember starting my truck was from about 4 blocks away with my truck in sight. The two-way remote is really nice to have. It beeps and vibrates when you're arming and disarming, as well as when the alarm is triggered.

The 5704 is the updated/newer version of the older 5901. And the Python 991 is basically the same as the Viper 5901. So if you're looking at these three, your best bet is to go with the 5704.

Alarms usually don't come with everything you need. If you buy an alarm with a remote start you will more than likely need to buy a bypass. On our trucks, the way to know if you need a bypass is to look for that flashing car/key symbol next to the clock. If you have that, then you need a bypass. You'll also have to buy a few smaller parts from Radio Shack like diodes, relays, and fuses. You might also want to look into additional sensors. Most alarms that I saw only come with a shock/impact sensor. But there are also glass break sensors, tilt sensors, motion sensors, and others that I just can't think of right now.

If you get an alarm made by Directed Electronics, aka DEI, (the parent company for Viper, Autostart, Clifford, AeroStart, Automate, Python, Avital, and XPresskit) and you're also planning on installing it yourself, just be aware that you will NOT have a warranty. Directed Electronics will only honor the warranty if it is installed by a certified installer. That being said, I did a write up on how to install a 5704 in our trucks here.

Products Discussed in

To Top