Notices

Head scratchin electrical problems

Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Beau541 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Beau
Beau541's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Head scratchin electrical problems

About 9 months ago I put a new battery in my 05 tacoma. Since then I deployed for 8 months and found out that while deployed my truck wouldn't start. My wife would start it using a jump box and let it run but then it wouldn't start again. I thought it was the alternator but once it was idling it wouldn't die and the lights wouldn't dim. However, the alternator is running really hot and the pulley was pretty rusted. I was messing around with it today and found a 30 amp draw, which doesn't make sense because that's a lot of power to just disappear. The battery output is roughly 13 volts or less. I would drive it around after jumping it, turn it off and try to start it again and it wouldn't even click. I pulled a bunch of fuses and cleaned up some stuff and tried it and it turns over like theres no problem. I let it sit for about 16 hours and it started again but I'm sure it will act up again. I'm completely electrically stupid and I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Do your lights come on when it fails to start or is it completely dead?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Air Force:
Beau541's Tacoma Gallery
It's completely dead. Sometimes the starter won't even click.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
If you were to turn on the light,would it come on ?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
Air Force:
Beau541's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, nothin would come on. No headlights, instrument lights, nothin.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Have you got your battery tested out at your local AutoZone? It's shouldn't the battery,because you just got it 9 months...
Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Air Force:
Beau541's Tacoma Gallery
No I haven't. I'll have to find a place in England. I thought about doin that but I figured its brand new so that couldn't be it.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Static voltage is one measurement but a load test is going to tell you what the battery is doing when you flip the ignition key on.

I'm going to say it's probably your connections since you can put a jump box on it and start. Eliminates all the wiring to/from. If it's a serviceable type you can pop the caps and check to make sure the electrolyte is at the proper level (unlikely but it happens) and make sure the battery connections are tight with no corrosion (much more likely, especially with a newly installed battery).
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
lowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Papa Kurt
lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
Put your amp meter on it and watch the amp (not the voltage)usage and pull the fuses and to find out where your short/usage is going. You will have to disconnect the battery and put the meter in line on the hot side to find the draw.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Sounds to me like the battery is shot. You most likely let it drain too much. Replace your battery and I'm sure it will be fine. Any time you leave a vehicle sit for a long period of time you need a battery tender or to just remove the battery.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Air Force:
Beau541's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to try all your suggestions. Then I'll start throwing parts at it. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
YEP--BATTERY! Should be under waranty! Get another. It should be FREE
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
TheMontanian is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
TheMontanian's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly i had a chevy do the same thing (run sometimes & B completely dead others) it wasnt the battery but instead the connection when i took it off retightened with a washer on it the problem never happened again. So basically double check your connections if ya havent already!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Lead acid batteries are perishable, especially wet batteries in hot weather. If you battery has not been recharged in eight months, the most likely cause is sulfation from the natural self-discharge of the battery and the vehicle's parasitic load. For more information, please see Section 16 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ at www.batteryfaq.org.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Air Force:
Beau541's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up cleaning all the contacts, and put that sumbitch on a trickle charger for like 3 days. Haven't had any problems yet.