Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tie Rods, Tie Rod End Question

Old 02-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Tie Rods, Tie Rod End Question

I bought a fixer upper 92 4Runner 4x4 V6. I'm trying to diagnose a steering/suspension issue. I noticed, somewhat at random, that the front wheels will shimmy severely. I have it up on jack stands and the wheels have quita a bit of play side to side. Is this tie rods or ball joints? If it is tie rods, how do you figure out which tie rod end needs replaced.

Also, is it just coincidence that this problem wasn't evident during a previous test drive or during the 60 mile drive home after purchase? The very next time I drove this 4Runner after bringing it home. this problem surfaced.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to tell from your description. Grab the TRE's and see if you can feel if they are loose.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Hard to tell from your description. Grab the TRE's and see if you can feel if they are loose.
I'll look into it. I've never dealt with tie rods before.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You amy want to look at the steering rack bushings, as they will cause some shimmy if the rack bushings are gone.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #5

Oh, and to check the ball joint, remove the tire, and pull on the spindle to see if you can feel any movement in the joint.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #6

Sorry Chris, compared to the Tacoma, this runner is very foreign to me. The Tacoma was my 1st 4wd. This.........it's like starting from scratch. The tie rod ends seem a little loose and the little grease boots are torn. I'm guessing that alone is enough to replace them.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Sorry Chris, compared to the Tacoma, this runner is very foreign to me. The Tacoma was my 1st 4wd. This.........it's like starting from scratch. The tie rod ends seem a little loose and the little grease boots are torn. I'm guessing that alone is enough to replace them.
Yep. Thats a good indicator.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #8

Thanks Chris. I'll look into the rack bushings as well.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Thanks Chris. I'll look into the rack bushings as well.
I cant remember if the 94 Runner has a R&P or Rec. Ball. I'll see what I can dig up.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I cant remember if the 94 Runner has a R&P or Rec. Ball. I'll see what I can dig up.
I can't find a rack.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #11

Its a Rec. Ball steering. Not hard to work on.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #12

Did you get my PM?