Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

New member hello and a clock reset question

Old 05-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
2manband is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
2manband's Tacoma Gallery
New member hello and a clock reset question

Long time lurker here, first time poster.

I drive an 08 access cab 4x4 I-4 5 speed. Yesterday I had a brake controller (Teknosha Prodigy) and 7-pin RV plug installed by a local trailer shop for my popup camper.

I realized while driving it home that the clock is extremely dim (much moreso than before) and it resets to 1:00 every time I shut the truck off. No other issues that I can detect. Interior lights all seem to work, radio presets stayed intact.

Before I haggle with the trailer shop, and drive all the way across town, and have to be truck-less for another day, I thought I'd see if there are any simple fixes that might do the trick. The most obvious spots to check, seems to me, are the fuse box and the battery connections, so I'll have a look at those this evening.

But if that doesn't do the trick, is there anything else to check out?

Possibly a bad/missing connection behind the dash? That would be wierd because the airbag light right next to the clock works, but who knows.

I knew I should have done this job myself in the first place. "Take it to the pro's" I thought - "it'll cost a few bucks but be done right and without any hassle."
Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
2manband is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
2manband's Tacoma Gallery
Checked/cleaned/tightened the battery connections and tested all the fuses with a multimeter. No problems either place, and the clock issue continues.

Did some reading around here and noted that the clock and dome light(s) are on the same circuit and, sure enough, my dome lights are out too.

I'm guessing a ham-fisted mechanic must have missed a wire somewhere during the brake controller install. So it's going back to the trailer shop; they're gonna fix it on their own dime and I don't have to waste any more time messing with it.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Will the Thrill
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Doublee is on a distinguished road
Doublee's Tacoma Gallery
Hello, going there some electrical issues myself. I do know the factory tow package requires 130 amp alternator, without 100 amp. This may or may not help just some info I found out this week. They are some very sharp members here that are always willing to help. Good Luck