1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Push brakes = dash lights on?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by coop, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Feb 20, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    coop

coop [OP] Member

Member:
    Can anyone tell me if this is normal and I just noticed it after driving my 2000 PreRunner for 6 years or if it's a problem?

If my headlights are off and I push the brake the instrument panel, lights under the shifter and radio all light up, and the clock gets brighter (or dimmer, I don't recall at the moment). I can dim them with the dimmer, but if I turn the headlights on and push the brake they all stay on, as they should and don't change in brightness.

I just noticed it the other day and have a hard time beliving it's done this since I bought the truck in '03 and now just noticed, but I have no explanation for the cause or a solution. There's also a slight delay before the radio lights up which makes me think the continued on/off when braking will eventually short something.

The only thing I've done recently was about a month ago when I replaced the plastic valence on the front bumper which required disconnecting the front parking lights. If that is the cause, then it took a month to notice.

Thanks for your input.

2. Feb 20, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Sorry man...you've got demons. Nobody can help you.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!

Just kidding....

Just curious to know - but when you press on the brakes, do the brake lights work?

3. Feb 20, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    have you recently wired up trailer wires?

or done any modifacations to the witre that go to the tail lights?

4. Feb 20, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    coop

coop [OP] Member

Member:
    Brake lights work, and if it matters reverse lights work. No trailers, no mods.

Maybe it is demons...

5. Feb 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    coop

coop [OP] Member

Member:
    That's good point. I forgot to mention that a few days or weeks before I did the valence I did change out the left tail light with an aftermarket.

That was probably 6 weeks ago. Could that be it? Could it take that long? And would it be just the bulb or the assembly?

6. Feb 20, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    coop

coop [OP] Member

Member:
    I've actually still got the original bulb. It was a minor rear ending that destroyed the tail light but not the bulb.

I'll be back in a few.

7. Feb 20, 2009 at 10:29 PM
    coop

coop [OP] Member

Member:
    So I put my foot on the brake, no key in, and the dash lights up again. But, I changed the bulbs out from my aftermarket and swapped in the originals and that did it. I'll be...

Appreciate the help guys. Nice call WP.

8. Feb 20, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    It has been a while since I was under the dash of a One Gen, but I have a trouble shooting idea.

I believe the One Gens and Two Gens (for sure) use a ground to positive (+) connection (I'm not sure of the fancy name). If so, the brake pedal and associated lever could be rubbing on one of the illumination wires running to the radio or something and it would be at full illumination upon grounding to chassis or opposite of rheostat setting (dim selection=bright bulb / bright selection=dim bulb).

What I would suggest would be to pull the lower dash piece off so you can view the complete brake assay and just insure that no wires are punched or rubbing on the assay.

If not, it's gremlins!

good luck

9. Feb 10, 2013 at 6:08 AM
    DixieDog

DixieDog Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    I just discovered the same issue with my 2010 Tacoma 4WD. With the ignition in the off position with or without key in the ignition, if I depress the brake pedal my brake lights, dash board lights and front parking lights will illuminate. Where do I look first in my attempt to diagnose the problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top