Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Proximity fob/lock & unlock feature

Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
johnnychimpo711 is on a distinguished road
Army:
johnnychimpo711's Tacoma Gallery
Proximity fob/lock & unlock feature

Hello fellow TW'ers. I've been thinking a lot lately about what modifications I want to make to my Tacoma. I came up with something that seems challenging, and I wanted some feedback; input on how, or even if, I can make this happen.

My idea is to adapt a proximity fob to enable keyless entry into my Tacoma. Mini Coopers, BMW and Mercedes have the technology (which I'm sure is expensive and requires computers and unnecessary wiring). Some motorcycles use this technology to allow a keyless start on the motorcycle.

If you're not familiar with what I'm talking about, some Harley Davidson motorcycles have a feature that allows you to start the motorcycle without a key only if a fob is in a certain proximity of the bike. I think this can be adapted, probably using the same components, to work as a keyless entry...but would someone be able to make it so the vehicle stays secure?

What do y'all think? Is it possible or financially feasible?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Viper and compustar both make systems that will do what you want. Compustar FT-EZGo and the Viper PKE.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
johnnychimpo711 is on a distinguished road
Army:
johnnychimpo711's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanv View Post
Viper and compustar both make systems that will do what you want. Compustar FT-EZGo and the Viper PKE.
Dang...should have done some research first huh...good lookin out!