Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #541
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
I was trying to find the locking clamps and some people have never heard of them. Others have said that they haven't been made in 20 years. I am not sure what else I can use to replace those ones rather than using regular clamps. Any other solutions?
When it comes to rust from the clamp you could always use rust proof paint like Trimclad. Paint it black.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #542
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Another reason why I own a 89' Pickup.

Don't gotta worry about this
Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #543
Big O is on a distinguished road

Name: Owen
Big O's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder Why

You know guys my last 2 Tundras had locking tail gates, they were an '03 & an'06. So I wonder why my '06 X did not get one. Like my '02 Tun didn't have one ether.

Wonder why.

Which way are these design guys are goin' ?

Big O
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
No, Buddy, Im not. I DO, however, want to let everyone know that it can happen very fast. If you have an alarm, which I do, and it was "Armed" at the time of my vid, you can see that it wont set the alarm off. I have heard too many tailgates getting yanked off of trucks, and I have NEVER lost one with this mod. Im pretty sure someone has tried, as one time I came out to my truck and the gate was down. SO, its a very small investment to protect your tailgate.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #545
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Legal disclaimer: As with any Modification, in the rare event of an erection lasting more than 4 hours, seek immediate medical help to avoid long-term injury. In rare instances, men performing mods on their trucks reported a sudden decrease or loss of vision. It is not possible to determine whether these events are related directly to these mods or to other factors. If you experience sudden decrease or loss of vision, stop doing mods, and call a doctor right away. The most common side effects vehicle maintinance and mods are headache, facial flushing, upset stomach, less money, and angry spouse. Less commonly, bluish vision, blurred vision, anal seepage, or sensitivity to light may briefly occur.
I know this is a cheap mod but in my opinion any mod over $500 that doesn't cause an erection lasting at least 4 hours is a waste of time and money
Did this untill I get around to other mod. Electronic Tailgate Lock Mod
Old 09-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #546
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Before putting the hose clamp on someone told me "Just back into a pole, not one will want to steal it then"
Old 10-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #547
birddog has a brilliant futurebirddog has a brilliant futurebirddog has a brilliant futurebirddog has a brilliant futurebirddog has a brilliant futurebirddog has a brilliant futurebirddog has a brilliant futurebirddog has a brilliant futurebirddog has a brilliant futurebirddog has a brilliant futurebirddog has a brilliant future
Name: Bruce
birddog's Tacoma Gallery
I did the hose clamp mod today with a mod to the mod. Before installing the hose clamp I put on a couple of 45 pound plastic cable ties and then put the hose clamp over the cable ties. My thought was that the cable ties added an extra layer of security and also keeps from scratching the paint from the metal hose clamp. Then just for fun ran a cable ties around the tailgate cable bracket and the hole in the cable mount on both sides. I did not do anything to the hose cable to disable it in case I want to remove the tailgate. I fiqure that if someone wants my tailgate bad enough they will get it but if it takes too much time to get off they will move on to the next truck.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #548
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
must be a 2nd gen deal as my tailgate hinges have bolts screwed in tight. you can't just un-clip the draw chain. or am i missing something?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #549
ckoerner is on a distinguished road

Name: chris
ckoerner's Tacoma Gallery
Doin that!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #550
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
here is another link for the turnkey clamps on amazon. they are about twice as expensive ($4.07 for 2) as when the OP listed them back in '09. still cheap insurance.

http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Turn-Key...0518158&sr=1-5

also, if you have a West Marine near you, they also carry 300 stainless clamps in size 20 for 1.59 each (breeze booster is the brand name). they also have 316 stainless for 5.79 each. all found on their website www.westmarine.com also

btw, the company i work for, Master Lock, makes a pretty nifty tailgate lock for $20 that will fit toyotas. hope this isn't against the rules (i am not a vendor), but here's a link:

http://www.masterlock.com/product_de...teLock/8253DAT

you can also see a vid by Mike Rowe demonstrating tailgate theft and security there as well. he is our new spokesman. shameless plug.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #551
r6hokie is a jewel in the roughr6hokie is a jewel in the roughr6hokie is a jewel in the rough
r6hokie's Tacoma Gallery
I have some extra hose clamps with the key(see picture), pm me for my paypal address, send me 4 bucks for shipping and I will send you one to your door
Attached Thumbnails
Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....-2011-11-10-15.49.19.jpg  
Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #552
Mav44 is on a distinguished road

Mav44's Tacoma Gallery
WOW, I could not believe when I saw that video last night of the tailgate popping right off. Certainly my new 2012 with Premium Alarm had corrected that problem but this morning I walked right out and popped the tailgate off my new truck.My son laughed and said I bet Toyota sells a lot of gates.

I went to walmart and they now only sell these clamps in a 4 inched for RVwaste disposal. I found them at O"Reilly auto parts with either red, blue or yellow handles. I measured and wrapped with tape up to the point that would enter the threads of the clamp to protect the paint. I also added a strip of tape when I was done and after I took the key off and I took a tire value cap and filled it with epoxy and stuck it on the remaining post. I figured all of this may confuse a thief and I would be hard to get to the post. My son called it the air-value for the off-road tail gate

I cannot believe Toyota has not addressed this over the years. I live in a high theft area and I think this mod just saved me $800. Now who do I owe that beer to?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #553
johnnyman1 is on a distinguished road
johnnyman1's Tacoma Gallery
There are a lot of good ideas and suggestions on this board but this one is one of the best. I wish all of the answers to life's problems were this easy to solve. Thanks again for the great tip.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #554
Sabre01 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Sabre01's Tacoma Gallery
Wow... nice fix!. Just checked my 2001 Ford F-150, and it popped right off the same way. !! I wonder if the "other" brands come off this easy? The really sad thing is, some jackass somewhere is scrapping these just for the scrap metal price...
Old 11-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #555
usnwarrior1 is on a distinguished road
Navy: MA1 (EXW)
Name: Ben
usnwarrior1's Tacoma Gallery
There is the pop n lock you can install or the tailgate keeper. I did both the hose clamp and the tailgate keeper after having my tailgate stolen.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #556
Treaddirt is on a distinguished road
Treaddirt's Tacoma Gallery
Just joined the forum and saw this thread - THANK YOU - for pointing out this problem and solution. The Tacoma I just bought is my first truck so I have many things to learn from you guys.....thanks again!!!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #557
Unzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3/3 SFG(A) Retired
Name: Randy
Unzapato's Tacoma Gallery
I knew the tailgate came off easily because I removed it on my other Tacomas. It never occurred to me that someone would want to steal it...
Thanks for the heads up! I just finished putting a cable lock on it.

Does anyone know if a Pop-n-lock will interfere with the backup camera?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #558
Jumper's Leds
csjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd class petty officer
Name: chris
csjumper2003's Tacoma Gallery
It just moves it to the otherside. It is made to house the camera.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #559
marktmaxwell is on a distinguished road
Navy: Retired
Name: Mark
marktmaxwell's Tacoma Gallery
I was JUST going to post about this very mod, just a "gut-check" to see if anyone has considered hose-clamping their taligate.

It's probably been covered (I didn't read all 28 + pages of post) but stainless steel clamps aren't hard to find. My local Lowe's has them and I think also Ace as well.

Yippeee-- my first tacomaworld post.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #560
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS View Post
Mine has been taken 3 times, I had to go steal another each time; last time I happened to get my original one back!

prs
You're a class act; turn one stolen tailgate into two stolen tailgates. Way to go champ. /reported

(Yes I know his post is old! Still pisses me off)

Products Discussed in this Thread