Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #42
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
not that im really super worried about my tailgate being stolen, but how hard are these pop n locks to install? Ebay listing says it just needs a screwdriver..lol
Old 02-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #43
WildcatRider is just really niceWildcatRider is just really niceWildcatRider is just really niceWildcatRider is just really nice

WildcatRider's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from Wal-Mart with my EZ Clamps. My tailgate is now secure.

Just want to point out however that for the life of me I yanked on that handle until my fingers bled and could not get it off. I had to use adjustable pliers and put my full body weight on it to pull that thing off!

Anyway great post Chris, and thank you.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #44
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
not that im really super worried about my tailgate being stolen, but how hard are these pop n locks to install? Ebay listing says it just needs a screwdriver..lol
if it all goes smoothly, it takes less than a half hour. and they are easy to install ( remove screws off of tailgate composite piece and take it off, slide in pop n lock, put on the two bolts and washers to hold it in, add the rod extenders (if you have to, some people on here didnt have to), check to make sure its working, and screw the composite piece back on. and thats all i think there is to do.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #45
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I used the extenders with the popnlock & they made the latch all loose & floppy so I took them back out & the latch is as it should be now. Also used regular hose clamps but will be getting some of the ones that need the key thing to undo. Kudos on the write up.......
Old 02-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #46
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Awesome thread, Chris! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I will do it as soon as I get home.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:34 AM   #47
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I have the Pop'n'Lock as well. It works as a great little deterrent, but it definitely isn't high security...
Old 02-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #48
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the garage or standing guard with weapon(s) of choice is the only high security theft proof action. Can't wait til the new house is done so all 3 vehicles fit in the garage!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #49
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
After watching the vid,I went straight to W-mart after work.My gate is now Thanks Chris for putting that up.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #51
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
my tailgate is locked down.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #52
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatRider View Post
Just got back from Wal-Mart with my EZ Clamps. My tailgate is now secure.

Just want to point out however that for the life of me I yanked on that handle until my fingers bled and could not get it off. I had to use adjustable pliers and put my full body weight on it to pull that thing off!

Anyway great post Chris, and thank you.
I had to use pliers to remove the key too. You can see it in the vid, as mine was already installed. I used the key to remove mine and make the vid, so the key came off easy.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #53
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I had to use pliers to remove the key too. You can see it in the vid, as mine was already installed. I used the key to remove mine and make the vid, so the key came off easy.

-1 for not pointing that out in the video...

just kidding
Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #54
CenTex Honky
drifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drifter379's Tacoma Gallery
What section in wal mart are you finding the clamps? Auto motiver or hardware?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #55
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

rpoint16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4333 View Post
excellent demonstration, chris!

I'm sure this will bring some more awareness to the severity of this problem, and just how easy it is to get ripped off.
x100
Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #56
ProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the rough
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
Great post, I'm headed to wal-mart. I think I am going to cut some strips of rubber from a bicycle tube to put under the hose clamp to avoid any scratching.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #57
WildcatRider is just really niceWildcatRider is just really niceWildcatRider is just really niceWildcatRider is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post

-1 for not pointing that out in the video...

just kidding
+1 for pointing out -1
Old 02-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter379 View Post
What section in wal mart are you finding the clamps? Auto motiver or hardware?
Automotive. It took me a while to find them because the automotive section in my Walmart is organized like crap.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #60
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up Chris!

Products Discussed in this Thread