Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #701
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Need more info

I read this thread and here is what I gathered for options

1. Hose clamp. Easy to install, prevent a thief with no tools from taking.
2. Gatekeeper. Easy to install, takes a few more tools to remove, but prevent quick thieves.
Not sure where is best online, but googled this real fast
http://www.trucknvans.com/Gate-Keepe...n-p/200810.htm
3. Masterlock. Requires a key. Says "Note: Does not fit Toyota Tacoma" but yet you guys show pics. Does it fit? Does it work well?
http://www.masterlock.com/products/p...DAT&showquiz=0

I am okay with implementing ALL of these if that is the approach. I dont think #2 can work with #3 installed, and likewise, but perhaps #1 and #3 or #1 and #2?

Help?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #702
shutuphippie is on a distinguished road
shutuphippie's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! My Tacoma is too big to fit in my garage now, LOL. I am definitely investing a couple $ and doing this.

Nice right up.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #703
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Yesterday I installed the electronic Pop n Lock. This thing is awesome
Old 02-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #704
tacovirgin is on a distinguished road
tacovirgin's Tacoma Gallery
Four year old thread, but mod still works great on the 2013 model. I found the clamps at ACE Hardware under the brand name "Tridon," though the clamps themselves had "IDEAL" inscribed on them. Two #20 clamps for $4.49. Remove the key once before installing, then you won't need pliers when you remove it the second time. The bolt is nothing but a square peg, so I feel anyone with pliers could defeat it, but hey, it's better than nothing.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #705
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I have a few extra Tridon stainless steel clamps that I de-burred and put industrial heat shrink tubing on. If you are interested in one for $6 shipped send me a message. (all gone)

Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #706
Roasty is on a distinguished road

Roasty's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my taco and im going to get one of these clamps today first truck so I didnt even know that these were often stolen thank you for the write up with the back up cam it would be a lot of money to replace .
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #707
bigweb2001 is on a distinguished road

bigweb2001's Tacoma Gallery
Hello, newbie here with a question. How do you install the washer and spacer so that the cable does not bind when you close the tailgate? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxboi View Post

I know no picture and it didn't happen. I had a Taco buddy find his tailgate hanging from the hindges. Looks like someone unhooked the cables, had a hose clamp stop him.... got pissed and dropped the tailgate on the bumper. Still had his tailgate and couple nice dents.

I added this along with a clamp on the hinge to prevent that from happening.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #708
Big O is on a distinguished road

Name: Owen
Big O's Tacoma Gallery
Again ?

Put a little Lock Tite on the threads before you put the bolts back in & then don't snug them down all the way. ( Flop abillaty )
A little lubrication on everything helps too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigweb2001 View Post
Hello, newbie here with a question. How do you install the washer and spacer so that the cable does not bind when you close the tailgate? Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #710
cvisinho is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
cvisinho's Tacoma Gallery
Just did mine with hose clamps.
I'm trying to find the bolt size for the washer idea as well. I have a shitload of spanner hardware here at work and that would be sweet. Not many people creeping around with spanner tools i would assume.
Anybody know the size off the top of your head?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #711
Oreo5 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: RS
Oreo5's Tacoma Gallery
Done.
Stay away from tailgate!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #712
Big O is on a distinguished road

Name: Owen
Big O's Tacoma Gallery
Head Size

7 1/4 .
7 1/2 if I Really shove the hat down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvisinho View Post
Just did mine with hose clamps.
I'm trying to find the bolt size for the washer idea as well. I have a shitload of spanner hardware here at work and that would be sweet. Not many people creeping around with spanner tools i would assume.
Anybody know the size off the top of your head?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #713
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
I'm ignoring the funny guy above me. (Yes, I chuckled..)

I did this mod after trying the McGard and deciding that it wasn't worth the $10 and the time to whittle it down with my dremel to make it work. I went with the "ideal" ones with the yellow key and it came in a 2 pack for $3 at Pep boys. I gave one to a guy at work. These are nice because it's all S.S. and won't rust like most regular steel hose clamps.

Two other guys at work with Tacos had warned me about this being a problem here in SoCal so hopefully this deterrent helps.

Last year my neighbor got his T100 AND FJ Cruiser hit on the same night for their cat's.. Now I'm paranoid knowing thieves come down this street occasionally to take a bunch down all at once.

Only time I've ever seen the cool-factor of a slammed pickup. Hard to crawl under and steal shit. LOL..
Old 03-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #714
TacoTT520 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Tommy
TacoTT520's Tacoma Gallery
just watched the video on how to steal a tailgate and busted out laughing at how easy that was. Gonna have to invest in those clamps, but just wondering, would my back up camera cord slow a thief down at all?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #715
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTT520 View Post
just watched the video on how to steal a tailgate and busted out laughing at how easy that was. Gonna have to invest in those clamps, but just wondering, would my back up camera cord slow a thief down at all?
No.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #716
Rydad is on a distinguished road
Rydad's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you find the small washer or spacer used to secure the tailgate cable? It appears to be a very odd size. What is the ID and OD?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #717
MAXBOI
maxboi is a jewel in the roughmaxboi is a jewel in the roughmaxboi is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brian
maxboi's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't measure it. It's a stainless washer that had the right OD, I just dremel tooled the ID by hand
Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #718
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
My 2013 came with a locking tailgate as part of the "appearance" package...I imagine it's difficult (if not impossible) to steal the gate if you can't open it....

Or am I mistaken?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #719
Rydad is on a distinguished road
Rydad's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for that...I think finding the right OD is the best I can do. I'll drill the correct ID.

As far as locking tailgates....mine does not have one. Which package has it included?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #720
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydad View Post
Thanks for that...I think finding the right OD is the best I can do. I'll drill the correct ID.

As far as locking tailgates....mine does not have one. Which package has it included?
The "Appearance" package - Also has all-weather seats, LED DRL's, Fog Lights, custom wheels, runningboards/nerf bars, skewp (LOL), Sliding rear window, and some other stuff I can't remember without looking at the paperwork.

Products Discussed in this Thread