Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #721
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarion55 View Post
The "Appearance" package - Also has all-weather seats, LED DRL's, Fog Lights, custom wheels, runningboards/nerf bars, skewp (LOL), Sliding rear window, and some other stuff I can't remember without looking at the paperwork.
I wish my '13 did, although i'm guessing only the ones without the backup camera have this. That's what kills the pop-n-locks for me.. I love that little camera. I think in addition to to my yellow-key SS hose clamp I'm going to add the big washer on both sides.

I still want to find a good Cat-guard that isn't 600-700 for two!!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #722
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
I wish my '13 did, although i'm guessing only the ones without the backup camera have this. That's what kills the pop-n-locks for me.. I love that little camera. I think in addition to to my yellow-key SS hose clamp I'm going to add the big washer on both sides.

pop n lock fits the cam, it just moves it to the driver side of handle
Old 03-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #723
Marcs2012 is on a distinguished road

Marcs2012's Tacoma Gallery
New b here just found this thread don't wanna get mines stolen. Just to be sure can anyone give me some info on the 2012 tailgate mod I seen a couple ways I want to secure my tailgate on this thread. I like the clamp with the key but not sure what size clamp I need also wanted to know how to put shrink wrap around it to not make the paint chip any help is appreciated thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #724
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
pop n lock fits the cam, it just moves it to the driver side of handle
One thing I found with the Pop Lock is that the cam seems to stick out a bit more than what it did with the stock handle. I can see a bit more it seems. The cam is just on the opposite side of the key lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....-pop-lock-03-09-13.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #725
Winnebagosmuggler is on a distinguished road
Name: Zach
Winnebagosmuggler's Tacoma Gallery
Handled. Thanks for the heads up. Would be highly irritated if I ever had to replace that and the cam.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #726
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
no more video?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #727
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Being a former Tacoma owner and a current Tundra owner, I don't see why Toyota doesn't go ahead and put a lock on the tailgate just like on my Tundra.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #728
TacomaBiff is on a distinguished road
Army: AMMO DOG
Name: John
TacomaBiff's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Did this mod one week after got the truck, Thanks Dude.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #729
pjs42 is on a distinguished road

Army: Enginering
Name: Steve
pjs42's Tacoma Gallery
I just looked at mine, never knew it had no lock till yesterday
Old 04-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #730
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post

Mine does have the back up cam...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #732
LoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud of
LoneCynic's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra has a locking tailgate option? Guess there's no luck in it fitting a Tacoma tailgate is there? I keep reading mixed opinions on the Pop and Lock aftermarket option. I stopped at Wal*Mart tonight and bought a stainless hose clamp to put on mine, and I plan to do that Washer thing for the support cables as well. Where can I get that Gate keeper piece too while I'm at it? Might as well add everything I can to deter the theft of mine while I'm at it.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #733
TacomaCon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
TacomaCon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Sun Lover View Post
Toyota supplies the washer to keep some thief from walking off with your tailgate. R U ?

Tools needed. A #30 torx driver and some loctite.

1st. The hold-down/s on the rear of each corner have the small thin washer needed.
2nd. Unscrew the hold-down, now untread the treading washer, it's the first of four washers.
3rd. Remove the thin washer and set it aside.
4th. Flip the lock washer and the thick washer around or just reinstall them in the same way minus the thin washer.
5th. Screw on the treading washer, & reinstall the hold-down with the washers.
6th. Remove the bedside #30 torx bolt.
7th. Install the thin washer you set aside between the torx bolt head & the cable end.
8th. Put some loctite on the torx bolt and tighten it down, now backoff the torx bolt a 1/4 turn. This should leave room for the cable to move without binding.

EZ!
AZ

?????

I did the clamp and washer mod on day one of getting the truck. Waiting for my pop n lock.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #736
LoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud of
LoneCynic's Tacoma Gallery
Added the Hose clamp, and cut some plastic tubing to cover the hinge to prevent paint scratches. Angled it down and tightened it with a wrench slowly to have it at an angle difficult for a thief to easily and quickly access. My Pop and Lock came in the mail today, an I spent the evening installing it. It really is nice, and after I got the camera installed and aligned, I found that the "corrected" viewing angle is much nicer than on the stock handle.

Definitely a good investment and mod to my Tacoma. Thanks for the info and input everyone.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #737
DestroyerFan is a glorious beacon of lightDestroyerFan is a glorious beacon of lightDestroyerFan is a glorious beacon of lightDestroyerFan is a glorious beacon of lightDestroyerFan is a glorious beacon of light

DestroyerFan's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod a few months after I got my 09, and, thank goodness I did!!! After I came back from a weekend trip last weekend (took my wifes car). I was filling up at the gas station Monday morning when I noticed one of my tailgate cables was off. My first thought was, I wonder how that popped off? Then when I opened the tailgate I noticed the other cable was off too. Then it hit me, Son of a bitch!!! Some basterd tried to steal my tailgate!!!

So, THANK YOU, to the poster of this mod!!! It saved my a$$ big time!!!

I used the hose clamp with the triangle key so you can't really grab the head of the screw with pliers. I orderd my pop n lock that day and installed it yesterday.

I am very greatful to Tacoma World and the people who take the time to post fixes and mods to our Tacos!!!

Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #739
P33Rob is on a distinguished road

Army: Infantry 2nd ID, 4th ID, 10th MTN
Name: Rob
P33Rob's Tacoma Gallery
I used the bands with plastic turn keys definitely a great idea. My first mod since its a new truck.

Products Discussed in this Thread