Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #741
Zarcero is on a distinguished road
Zarcero's Tacoma Gallery
Just joined this forum today. Just bought my truck today. Backed the truck up against a wall so that the tailgate can't be dropped tonight. Will do the mod in the morning.

Thanks Chris 4x4!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #742
Marc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrdave36 View Post
Damn....that article says 70 tailgates were worth an estimated $150,000.00?

$2,142.85 each?

That's expensive!! Pretty good reason to secure it.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #743
Zarcero's Tacoma Gallery
Bought the truck yesterday. Done this morning with ties I had in the garage. Thanks!

P.S. Also ordered GateKeeper.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #744
LoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud of
LoneCynic's Tacoma Gallery
Someone recently went after my truck too. Already had the Pop N Lock and Hose clamp installed. I had just washed the truck the day before. There were fingerprints on the tailgate, and I hadn't touched it since washing it. Since they couldn't get my tailgate, they stole my Toyota rubber hitch cover instead. That thing was only $10, but I hadn't even had it a week yet! Going to have to get a hitch hole cover that can be secured too I guess.. Damn thieves.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #745
whitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura aboutwhitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura about

whitetacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarcero View Post
Bought the truck yesterday. Done this morning with ties I had in the garage. Thanks!

P.S. Also ordered GateKeeper.
Are those zip ties? If so, you might consider changing them. Those are easy to break off with a knife or screwdriver
Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #746
Zarcero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetacoma89 View Post
Are those zip ties? If so, you might consider changing them. Those are easy to break off with a knife or screwdriver
They are indeed zip ties. Several upthread have done the same mod. I really tried to get that tail gate off afterwards. Nope not "easy" to get it off with a knife or screwdriver, but I will say it's has the same degree of difficulty as does the hoseclamp if one wants to get it off. It's designed to be a deterrent not a complete stopper. Currently I have the zip ties and a cablelock securing the tailgate. In addition, I also have the GateKeeper http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product,%20GK.htm on order. When I put the GateKeeper on I will cover the zip ties with it.

P.S. WTF Toyota? No lock on the tailgate. No lock on the gas cap cover. No lock on the glove compartment or console. Don't these people believe in security? This is the fifth day I have had the car and have since purchased the Console Vault, ordered the GateKeeper, and have ordered a locking gas cap. Seems like Toyota is in the business of having us buy truck farkles from other vendors.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #747
XIII is on a distinguished road
XIII's Tacoma Gallery
Well, GUESS WHAT? Surprise SURPRISE, my new tacoma I've had for only about a week or so? Someone tried to steal the tailgate! The clamp stopped/slowed him down enough for a PD vehicle doing shopping center patrol to see the guy. He didn't even notice them pull up right behind him.

Jesus, I am so glad I saw this topic, is this stickied? I am so thankful, thank you guys!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #748
Nate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNate87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
Name: Nate
Nate87's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my Tacoma last month and this was the first thing I did to it. I had to take off for a few weeks the day after I took it home and was worried I'd come back to a tailgateless truck. Luckily it was still there and on went the "keyed" hose clamp installed from underneath to make it a little more challenging. The ruber shrink wrap was a good tip to prevent marring. I also did the cable washers and loctite. Thanks for the tips.

Nate
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #749
Tommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tom
Tommiet's Tacoma Gallery
Another same ol tailgate fix

I used the suggested 1 3/4 clamp with the plastic key. The only difference is that I used shrink wrap to cover most of the clamp. Then I used liquid black tape on the rest. May cut off the excess.
Attached Thumbnails
Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....-truck.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #750
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
This prevented the theft of my tailgate. The kid got caught by a fellow fireman in the parking area trying to take mine off. He ran for it.

But check out what this guy has on his. It's called the Gatekeeper.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post7072025

I am going to buy one, then strip out the hex bit. I have no need to remove my tailgate in a hurry.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #751
TacNL is on a distinguished road
TacNL's Tacoma Gallery
Clever idea and I'll be getting some clamps if available in Canada.

Just wondering though, what would prevent someone from buying the E-Z clamp at Wal-mart and use the key to steal a tailgate equipped with the clamp?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #752
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacNL View Post
Clever idea and I'll be getting some clamps if available in Canada.

Just wondering though, what would prevent someone from buying the E-Z clamp at Wal-mart and use the key to steal a tailgate equipped with the clamp?
Thieves want something they can grab in a hurry, not something they have to spend time on. Don't think anyone who has done this has lost their tailgate.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #753
TacomaCon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
TacomaCon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommiet View Post
I used the suggested 1 3/4 clamp with the plastic key. The only difference is that I used shrink wrap to cover most of the clamp. Then I used liquid black tape on the rest. May cut off the excess.
Look like you did it on the left side? Should be the right side.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #754
Tommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tom
Tommiet's Tacoma Gallery
You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaCon View Post
Look like you did it on the left side? Should be the right side.

Unsure of the process, I did BOTH sides. Newbbie and still learning form the pros here.

Your a man with an eye for detail!!!! Take the day off.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #755
Elmosaurus is on a distinguished road
Elmosaurus's Tacoma Gallery
Just going to reiterate, this is a great thread. Thanks, OP!

I was going to do the electronic Pop n Lock actuator that is keyed into remote lock, but decided this was far less intrusive.

For anyone not able to find the EZ Clamp at their walmart (like me) it turns out AutoZone has them. They are made by a company called Koehler, and you need part no. EZ20BK for the 3/4" to 1 3/4" range. (two the pack)

I bought heat shrink tubing as well, so for just over $7, this should keep my tailgate sufficiently locked.

E.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #756
Elmosaurus is on a distinguished road
Elmosaurus's Tacoma Gallery
Just got it done; really, literally, a 10 minute job, tops. (would have been faster if I wasn't taking pictures for you guys)

To make things easier for anyone else, I measured for the way I installed.

FYI, the Koehler EZ clamp security head is no longer five point under the key, it is a squared head, and my 1/4" square socket was able to get a grab and turn it. The actual size is just a smidge larger than 3/16"... might be a metric size... (if 5.5 mm square is common? no idea... I certainly don't own a square socket in that size) While this is 'less' secure than before in my opinion, it's probably still adequate as not many 'thieves of opportunity' will happen to have a square drive socket with them.

Now, I'm not going to shrink mine; I'm leaving mine loose. If you want a shrunk tubing look, you'll need to cut the correct length after you have shrunk the tubing onto the clamp. (based on my math, 4 1/4" should get you all the way around, not counting any 'underlap' of the threading area that you may want) Otherwise, for a loose install, you can use this as a guideline:

'Un shrunk', the length that the tube has to cover is 5.25", if you want some 'underlap' to go under the threading section of the clamp. (I wanted to protect the paint all the way around, and under the clamp even)

Cut one half of the tubing off to create the 'underlap' section that will go under the threading area: (I cut essentially 7/8" off)

Lastly, slide the tubing on, underlap first, on the interior of the clamp. Here's what I ended up with:

Position on the passenger tailgate hinge as desired, tighten clamp with the key, and remove key. (mine did not require pliers, I was able to wiggle a tiny bit and pull hard to get it off)

Hope this helps someone!

E.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #757
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
I agree that this wont stop a more preparded thief. Whats stopping thieves from reading this, and then just going to walmart or autozone to buy their own clamp keys? Nothing. However it will pose problems for opportunists.

Im gonna do this with the heatshrink idea used above (great idea btw). Doing a popnlock latch as well as a spare wheel lock.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #758
MG2kay8 is on a distinguished road
Army: 2LT, EN
MG2kay8's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my Taco and bought a #Gatekeeper!

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #759
Bucketweet is on a distinguished road
Name: Dale
Bucketweet's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....

I installed a key lock to mine. Can't remember where I got it. Google it.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #760
"Senior", Senior Member
keninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeninsb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken
keninsb's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered one of THESE, but still use one of the other hose clamps on the other side.
Ken

Products Discussed in this Thread