Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #801
wesplains is on a distinguished road
Name: West
wesplains's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread, checked mine out on my 2014 TRD Sport. It seems that on mine Toyota has fixed the problem, because it has what looks to be the equivalent to the Gate Keeper on both sides unless I am missing something.

However, I will need to put the 1/2 inch washers on the cables to keep someone from dropping it on the bumper.

I want to order a Pop and Lock, but just read on here where two guys had theirs freeze/lock up in just a couple of weeks. So I will wait and see how that shakes out.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #802
sudome is on a distinguished road
sudome's Tacoma Gallery
Check again

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesplains View Post
Great thread, checked mine out on my 2014 TRD Sport. It seems that on mine Toyota has fixed the problem, because it has what looks to be the equivalent to the Gate Keeper on both sides unless I am missing something.

However, I will need to put the 1/2 inch washers on the cables to keep someone from dropping it on the bumper.

I want to order a Pop and Lock, but just read on here where two guys had theirs freeze/lock up in just a couple of weeks. So I will wait and see how that shakes out.
Double check again my friend. I also have a 2014
TDR Sport Access cab and my is not factory secured, well it is now thinks to this thread!! But you may have a package or something that added it.

4 year old thread and going strong
Old 03-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #803
rtmerry is on a distinguished road
rtmerry's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having trouble removing the bolt where the cable hangs for the tailgate. Any suggestions? I might just be terribly weak. :/
Old 03-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #804
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmerry View Post
I'm having trouble removing the bolt where the cable hangs for the tailgate. Any suggestions? I might just be terribly weak. :/
visegrips on the screwdriver for extra leverage
Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #805
ToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToolFan66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ToolFan66's Tacoma Gallery
Will be looking at this.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #806
mcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the rough
Name: mike
mcdee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine was very difficult to remove also, was worried about stripping it so I stopped by dealer and went back to body shop and had them do it.The kid that helped me said they were also secured by "glue", maybe he meant loctite. Wouldn't drive a long way for this but dealer in town where I live. I also added the gatekeeper by jimmiejammer.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #807
Big O is on a distinguished road

Name: Owen
Big O's Tacoma Gallery
The Right Way

What you need is a little lubrication.
My new favorite is a product named ; Corrosion X. Before that I use to really like LPS 1, 2, or 3. Still all very good. each for different "Solutions."
Never use the original WD 40 that's in most people's garage. It's a dry powder in an emulsion, will make every thing worst. I know that they are making several new/different formulas that might be ok to use.
Let which ever one you use to soak in a little time after applying.

Quote:
Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #808
Z E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of light
Z E R 0's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #809
Macprowler is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Macprowler's Tacoma Gallery
I did the hose clamp and then the washer/loctite on the cable bolts. The parts dept at my dealer said Toyota had just started offering locking tailgate kits. I debated on whether or not to get the Pop -n- Lock one, but decided to special order the dealer one, thinking it might have a better design/fit/warranty, etc.

Imagine my joy when the "Toyota" locking latch I paid $130 for, turns out to be the same Pop n Lock for $80 on Amazon..... This was just the "coded" lock with the access for the backup camera - not the one with the remote access solenoid.

So do NOT get one from the dealer.....
Old 05-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #810
kg00dtrip1982 is on a distinguished road
kg00dtrip1982's Tacoma Gallery
Hello, I'm new to the tacoma world. i pick up my 2012 tacoma tonight. i was going to purchase the master lock, but on the website it says it does not fit toyota tacomas. am i still good to purchase?
http://store.masterlock.com/truck-se...y/8253dat.html
Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #811
mcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the rough
Name: mike
mcdee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg00dtrip1982 View Post
Hello, I'm new to the tacoma world. i pick up my 2012 tacoma tonight. i was going to purchase the master lock, but on the website it says it does not fit toyota tacomas. am i still good to purchase?
http://store.masterlock.com/truck-se...y/8253dat.html
I bought one for my 12 last year and then someone here on TW discovered it did not work. I called them and I was refunded my money, they allowed me to keep the lock and I gave it to my s-i-l as it fit his tacoma. After they were notified they did change their website info. I bought the gatekeeper by jimmiejammer, a little pricey but it works for me. You just missed one at the for sale thread, guy had a new and sold for $15. If interested search jimmiejammer, then gatekeeper. From what I remember best price was from the maker. Lots of opinions on these things, I liked it best for fit and finish, no rattle, corrosion, etc. Nothing 100%, I just want them to move on.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #812
coastemac is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Gunner's Mate First Class (E-6) Weapons Instructor/Armorer
Name: Mac
coastemac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdee View Post
I bought one for my 12 last year and then someone here on TW discovered it did not work. I called them and I was refunded my money, they allowed me to keep the lock and I gave it to my s-i-l as it fit his tacoma. After they were notified they did change their website info. I bought the gatekeeper by jimmiejammer, a little pricey but it works for me. You just missed one at the for sale thread, guy had a new and sold for $15. If interested search jimmiejammer, then gatekeeper. From what I remember best price was from the maker. Lots of opinions on these things, I liked it best for fit and finish, no rattle, corrosion, etc. Nothing 100%, I just want them to move on.
Think I may go this route. If the handle on the Pop-Lock was sturdier, I'd probably go that route. Knowing it was locked every time I locked the truck would be a plus...
Old 06-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #813
Dirty Harry Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Harry
Dirty Harry Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone! I put on the hose clamps with the keyed lock on my truck for only $6.34 and 5 minutes of my time. That should make any low down good for nothing thief move on.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #814
BOBONTUESDAY is on a distinguished road
BOBONTUESDAY's Tacoma Gallery
I found a new way to keep your tailgate from being stolen

Just take a sharp turn with some large lumber in your trailer and you'll get this forever stuck mod. Tailgate still shuts but cannot be taken off.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #815
hxg94tt is on a distinguished road
hxg94tt's Tacoma Gallery
Just did my 2014 .. I used the Auto-zone clamp 3/4 to 1 3/4 clamp .. The only thing I did different , I used a bicycle inner tube between the clamp & the tailgate painted surface.
I cut the inner tube across to obtain a 3/4" one piece gasket
(looks like a wide black rubber band)
I had to slightly remove the one side of the tailgate , to install the band in one piece..
The wiring for the backup camera has very little slack ..
Old 07-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #816
mrkabc will become famous soon enough

Name: Art
mrkabc's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Pop and Lock with the codable key from Amazon - $78.50.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope it works! Looks factory, doesn't it! Installed in 15 minutes and works like it's supposed to. I am happy!

A bit pricier than hose clamps but it does look like something Toyota should have installed from the get go.
Attached Thumbnails
Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....-20140618_182013.jpg   Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....-20140620_192229.jpg  
Old 07-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #817
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Look what I just came across on CL....

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/pts/4570634776.html
Old 07-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #819
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: USMC
Name: Adrian
adriancast's Tacoma Gallery
Now he's mobile and raised the price $50

This guy is stealing them everywhere. Posted in Las Vegas, says he's from Montclair, Ca and now posting in Santa Barbara.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #820
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe we should report this person....

I can't imagine that the tailgates are obtained legitimately.

Products Discussed in this Thread