Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tailgate theft....How to prevent it....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #821
.Randy Bullard is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
.Randy Bullard's Tacoma Gallery
Hi,new member here,still shopping for Tacoma,so please excuse what may be a dumb question..The clamp in photo appears to be removable with a nutdriver or straight slot..? Also,does Toyota offer a locking tailgate,option? Thanks,Randy
Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #822
DCSBORFTMFW
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Randy Bullard View Post
Hi,new member here,still shopping for Tacoma,so please excuse what may be a dumb question..The clamp in photo appears to be removable with a nutdriver or straight slot..? Also,does Toyota offer a locking tailgate,option? Thanks,Randy

Here is a link to the clamp:

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...257r?id=862124

It comes with a special key that you have to have in order to remove the clamp. You cannot use a socket or screwdriver to remove it.

My 2013 off road 4x4 didn't come with it so I had to buy a Pop 'N Lock. Very easy to install.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #823
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriancast View Post
Now he's mobile and raised the price $50

This guy is stealing them everywhere. Posted in Las Vegas, says he's from Montclair, Ca and now posting in Santa Barbara.

We should all make a concerted effort to flag everyone of his CL posts as Spam / Illegitiment.

I'm going to do it now. Done - GO GET HIM GUYS!

x flagged [?] Posted: 6 days ago
Toyota tacoma tailgate 05-2014 - $300 (Montclair)

Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #824
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Randy Bullard View Post
Randy,

Toyota does not offer a locking tailgate. You can buy an after market tailgate latch that is locking. It's called Pop N Lock.

From my research, It really doesn't work very well and is cheap crap probably made in China. A lot of people do like them though.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #825
.Randy Bullard is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
.Randy Bullard's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #826
Z E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of light
Z E R 0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkabc View Post
I got the Pop and Lock with the codable key from Amazon - $78.50.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope it works! Looks factory, doesn't it! Installed in 15 minutes and works like it's supposed to. I am happy!

A bit pricier than hose clamps but it does look like something Toyota should have installed from the get go.
Does it unlock with the alarm remote?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #827
mrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrkabc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Art
mrkabc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z E R 0 View Post
No, it does not. This model has a lock cylinder that can be recoded once to match your ignition key.

I didn't like the remote option since you have to run wires, and I didn't want to do that.

I don't get the hate on Pop 'n Lock, it seems to be a decent unit for what it does. Foolproof? No way. Like I said above, it's only good to discourage juveniles and casual thieves. I figure that alone should be enough; if someone really wants the truck or the parts bad enough they are just going to steal the whole truck anyways.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #828

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkabc View Post

I don't get the hate on Pop 'n Lock, it seems to be a decent unit for what it does. Foolproof? No way. Like I said above, it's only good to discourage juveniles and casual thieves. I figure that alone should be enough; if someone really wants the truck or the parts bad enough they are just going to steal the whole truck anyways.
I can really only speak to what I've read on them. I don't have one, but am thinking of getting one and trying it out. Always good to hear from people that have one.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #829
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt [again, not WILL]
STiLL WILL's Tacoma Gallery
I think the whole point of tailgate theft is to turn right around and flip the stolen parts for some cash. That said, generally if the parts are damaged, it's really quite useless to try to sell them.

My point is even though the Pop&Lock may appear to be a bandaid (I personally have one on my truck right now and have had no issues), the fact that a KEY is clearly needed to unlock it should be pretty discouraging for someone who's intent is to resell the tailgate for cash. They would have to rip off the Pop&Lock and source another tailgate lever(damage)....more work for the perp than it's worth. They'd probably just move on to the next truck that isn't equipped as such.

Parts theft in general is mostly a game of discouraging rather than completely preventing. If someone wants a part off your vehicle, it all depends how bad they want it.

While I do agree the replacement Pop&Lock handle doesn't feel like factory as far as quality, I can count probably on 1 hand how many times I need to drop the tailgate on my own truck monthly. This may be an issue for someone who's constantly dropping the tailgate, but certainly not an issue for me. It has worked for me for quite sometime now and to me that's all that matters.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #830
IVrunner will become famous soon enough
IVrunner's Tacoma Gallery
I live in SB. I'll get a hold of him Friday and try to report him. Just bought a 2003 double cab 4x4 trd tacoma which is my first pickup with a removable tailgate so tomorrow I'm doing this mod!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #831
IVrunner will become famous soon enough
IVrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Or is mine removable? (easily, that is) - just checked in the dark and it didn't seem like it
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #832
WTF just happened?
The6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud of

Navy: DC3 veteran
Name: Wil
The6pharaohs's Tacoma Gallery
If he is not obtaining these legally I hope this dude get's what's coming to him.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #833
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The6pharaohs View Post
If he is not obtaining these legally I hope this dude get's what's coming to him.
Karma & people reporting him to CL might be helpful.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #834
Spit51 is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
Spit51's Tacoma Gallery
I think your mod is brilliant. Who cares how long it's been around. I never heard of it and I have owned pickups for 21 years. Thanks very much for the tip. I am putting one on this weekend.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #835
floodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant future

Name: Ken
floodedkiwi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z E R 0 View Post
I installed the electric PopNLock that is hooked into the rear passenger door and works off the factory remote key lock unlock.
Love it and had in for over year, with no issues. I also put on a Bak-flip fiber max cover and with it closed and the doors locked, bed is secure. With the cover up, the tailgate is still secure...
Old 08-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #836
(.)(.)
outdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to behold

outdoorgb's Tacoma Gallery
Wow...lots of replies. I made it 23 pages then skipped to the end. May have been mentioned but I'll post again for impatient folks like me

Brand new 2014 with camera. Wanted to keep my tailgate.
Did the SS pipe clamp with heat wrap day two.
I also added two 18" lengths of plastic wrap cable from the hinge to the frame. Secured with aluminum sleeves crimped in place, covered with heat tape. Installed both sides in about 10 minutes. Just another level of security. Could do loops and paddle lock if you remove your tailgate much.

Does not interfere with any open/closing of tailgate. Cost for everything = $5

Top view showing cable around hinge and clamp with heat tape

Under bed, sleeve installed, ready to crimp

Crimped and covered
Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #837
floodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant future

Name: Ken
floodedkiwi's Tacoma Gallery
Nice set up. Still prefer my electric lock....
Just one guy talkin'
I hate a thief.....
Old 08-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #838
egres has much to be proud ofegres has much to be proud ofegres has much to be proud ofegres has much to be proud ofegres has much to be proud ofegres has much to be proud ofegres has much to be proud ofegres has much to be proud of

Army: RECON OIF I & III DOG FACE SGT.
egres's Tacoma Gallery
Somebody just tried to jack my tailgate!!!! F****** low lives, burn in hell! I have pop lock but did not lock it because went to the store for like 5 minutes. BUT I have gatekeeper!!! SO thank you gatekeeper guys!!! Saved me a lot of dough!
P.S. Called none emergency PD number and no one answered
Old 08-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #839
metalpeddler88 is on a distinguished road
metalpeddler88's Tacoma Gallery
Some people just don't care, they do almost anything for money, other than getting a REAL job. Try explaining to someone what's wrong with digging through your trash early in the morning for scrap metal . SOB didn't even try to be quiet, woke me up.
With all the fuss on tailgate theft, I'll probably add one of those McGuards or other clamps. I already have a Pop&Lock, but can't hurt to add another prevention. Some people really try hard not to get a real job.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #840
Tex-Tac is on a distinguished road
Tex-Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by egres View Post
Somebody just tried to jack my tailgate!!!! F****** low lives, burn in hell! I have pop lock but did not lock it because went to the store for like 5 minutes. BUT I have gatekeeper!!! SO thank you gatekeeper guys!!! Saved me a lot of dough!
P.S. Called none emergency PD number and no one answered

It take less than 10 seconds to steal a tailgate so 5 minutes, to a thieve, is a long time believe it or not. Good thing you had 'gatekeeper'.

I'm just going to go the cheapest and easiest route and use a clamp on mine.

Products Discussed in this Thread