Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Heavy flywheel?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Heavy flywheel?

The clutch on my 6 speed is starting to go. There seem to be a lot of options for clutch replacements. I off road a bit and will probably go with a URD stage 2 or 3 for that and get a throwout bearing while I am at it. Seems to be a good option to keep drivability but increase durability from trail abuse. Most people seem to like the URD clutches.

I also want to replace the flywheel while I am at it. The only aftermarket ones I can find are lightweight options from URD (aluminum) and competition clutch (steel). I have no need (that i can see) for a light weight flywheel. (correct me if I am wrong) but for off road use, I would want a heavier flywheel, right? The stock is 31 lbs (I think) and these replacement options are around 18 lbs. I am pretty sure I don't want an aluminum flywheel. Steel seems to be a good option. That said, is there another option out there that I am not finding? I have spent a lot of time looking. Seems to be some good options out there for the older yotas but nothing for the new 4.0s.

Should I just go stock, or go with the steel lightweight?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I put a stage 3 clutch w/ a resurfaces flywheel in my 6speed and it works great. If you go lightweight you may have issues with the low end crawling type stuff....You'll learn to overcome it, but why bother? Stock replacement and don't think twice about it.
Thanks! Thats kind of what i had been thinking.

How does the stage 3 feel? My truck is my DD but i also try to take it out to play as much as possible...
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
i got stage 4 with resurfased stock... i bought the lightened flywheel and put it in at first what a stupid idea lol but the new t/o bearing that was installed started to fail so gave me a chance to make things right.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipnoreo View Post
Thanks! Thats kind of what i had been thinking.

How does the stage 3 feel? My truck is my DD but i also try to take it out to play as much as possible...
Everyone freaked out at first that I got the stage 3 "It's gunna be like a ton of bricks on the pedal" etc etc etc, but I'm putting in a modified TRD blower soon, so I needed something more than stock.

Now that it is in there - I love it. Pedal loading is fine for me...stiffer than stock, but not unbearable. Clutch feel is awesome - real positive enegements and I'm quite sure it'll handle the load after the blower nicely.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
I'd stay away from the lighter flywheel for street use - they are better for road race and autocross uses where you want the engine to rev quicker. A heavier flywheel will help the engine keep the rpms up when shifting and be easier to drive.