Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Owning 2 vehicles and storing

Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Owning 2 vehicles and storing

I am planning to buy my friends 2002 Honda Civic LX Coupe as a second vehicle driven 80% of the year. I currently live in San Diego but will be moving to attend school a little more than an hour away.

Reasons for purchase: MPG, Ease of maintenance, Less miles on truck, 2nd car for emergencies or maintaining either vehicle

Reasons for concern: The truck will most likely stay in SD so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to drive it. If I don't drive it for over a month, do I need to prepare the truck for short-term storage and how? I can leave my truck at my dad's for him to drive but I prefer not to leave it outside and also defeats the purpose of reducing mileage.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd put something like Startron in the fuel to keep the ethanol from separating and store it with a full tank. If it's stored on an incline, chock the wheels. Another option would be to put the truck up on blocks but I don't think that's really necessary. A month of storage really isn't that long in my opinion. My motorcycle sits longer than that without being run and I don't really do anything special besides the fuel treatment and make sure there aren't any mice where you store it.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Mike. Is there any need to disconnect the battery?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshak View Post
Thanks Mike. Is there any need to disconnect the battery?
Disconnecting the negative for storage wouldn't be a bad idea. Probably wouldn't hurt anything to leave it hooked up but if there is any parasitic draw, it could kill it over time.