1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

throw out bearing

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by DMIKES, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Sep 3, 2007 at 8:55 PM
    DMIKES

DMIKES [OP] New Member

Member:
    east hampton ny
    Vehicle:
    2006 sr5 tacoma 4X4
    i have a 2006, 6 speed v6, 4X4. i have 34,000 miles on this truck, and toyota has replaced the throw out bearing two times already. luckily it has been covered by the warranty. i am looking to dump some money into the truck, and drive it for a long time. but i am worried about this bearing issue. the dealer told me i have been riding the clutch, that this is the cause of the bearing failure. it is my third manual transmission toyota. i do not ride the clutch. i bought my last 5 speed brand new and got 150,000 miles without doing anything to the drivetrain/clutch/tranny. my other older toyota is still going with almost 200,000. i beat the piss out of both of those trucks. i drive this one easy, and have the dealer do all my service and i have this issue. has anyone heard of this problem? maybe i should start beating on it.......

2. Sep 3, 2007 at 10:03 PM
    Spyder327

Spyder327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Aquamist 2D meth/water injection kit, URD Exhaust, DT Long Tube Headers, Hood Struts, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff...
    My throwout bearing was replaced because it squeaked insanely loud, but i've never had the noise come back on me..

3. Sep 4, 2007 at 4:01 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
  4. Sep 5, 2007 at 12:27 PM
    DMIKES

DMIKES [OP] New Member

Member:
    east hampton ny
    Vehicle:
    2006 sr5 tacoma 4X4
    thanks. sounds llike this is a pretty common problem. the throw out bearing made the worst noise, really loud and annoying squeaking. hopefully it does not happen again, i might have to try and enact the lemon law......i would rather my truck just stopped breaking.....thats the whole reason im paying 400 per month, so that i dont have a broken truck.......

5. Sep 16, 2007 at 7:48 PM
    sandie

sandie Well-Known Member

Member:
    long beach, ca
    Vehicle:
    06 x-runner baby!
    someone mentioned a TSB for the throw out bearing...can anyone post a link to this? thanks!

6. Aug 12, 2008 at 5:40 PM
    road hard

road hard Member

Member:
    I have a 2007 4door TRD with 27000 miles and I also think my throw out bearing is going south. Is there a TBS for the bearing problem? I have a 1999 taco, 2004 taco and never had this kind of problem. I hate a broken truck!!!!

7. Mar 11, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    autocarp

autocarp Alpinist

Member:
    Hudson Valley,NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    Bed Cap and front Bull Bar
    I just put my 08 Tacoma in the dealer shop for what I had determined was a throw out bearing failure (loud chirping any time clutch was not depressed). During a test drive with the mechanic that would work on my truck he mentioned he had seen a Bulletin on the T/O bearings. When the service department called a few hours later and told me I had to pay for a new clutch assembly ($500+) I marched right down there to see the parts out of the truck. Since the truck only has 39000 miles on it I could not believe it needed a new clutch. I inspected the clutch plate, housing and pressure plate... they were all just fine, the T/O bearing was fried. Ironically the clutch components are some of the only parts not covered under my extended warranty... I told them to put the parts back in. A clutch in a modern truck driven conservatively should last 100,000 miles, especially if the truck has a tow package.
    This 08 Tacoma replaced a 1997 Taco V6 5 speed 4x4 that I drove for 11 years and 115,000 miles without a single drive train problem. The new 6 speeds kinda suck.
    Bottom line this T/O bearing failure in recent Tacomas seems to be epidemic and there is a TSB out for it I have seen it.

8. Oct 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    dontgivea5hit

dontgivea5hit Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T-Bone
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner V6 Offroad
    Flowmaster and tint...so far..

Products Discussed in

To Top