Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Maintenance Light has two factor switch?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Maintenance Light has two factor switch?

Hey guys, no trouble, already changed oils and turned the light off... but...

Just glossing over the 2009 Tacoma manual and noticed it says this:

Quote:
Illuminates for about 3 seconds and then flashes
for about 12 seconds: Indi-
cates that the engine oil is
scheduled to be changed.

Comes on and remains:
Indicates that the engine
oil should be changed.

This seems to imply there is some kind of difference in how it determines when oil should be changed. I thought it went off mileage, but could it also be going by something else? Revolutions maybe?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's all mileage based.
Mine comes on flashing when I start truck around 4500 miles after oil change, then goes away after one minute or so. If I go over 5000 miles then It stays on constantly.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
^^^

Flashes on startup at 4500 miles, then stays on while running at 5000
Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
I think it's all mileage based.
Mine comes on flashing when I start truck around 4500 miles after oil change, then goes away after one minute or so. If I go over 5000 miles then It stays on constantly.
^^this

Just mileage, micro computers are cool things.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
^^^

Flashes on startup at 4500 miles, then stays on while running at 5000
x2, it's 100% mileage based. It's just a dummy light, it doesn't 'determine' anything, just based on how many miles you drive.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Solved

Alright thanks for the confirmation. I figured it wasn't intuitive, but wasn't sure why it had the odd wording in the manual. My only thought was revolutions.

I also read somewhere on here how to reset it, but I don't think it mentioned that each of those little dashes that display when holding the reset switch is an increment of 1000 miles.

Not sure if that's true, but if so, that means you could set it at 3k or 4k if you wanted? (I always just check the oil itself, some of these synthetics last longer than 5k)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
It would be nice if it "knew" i was using synthetic and change @10,000mi
My Ultra-gauge is programmed for 7,500 mile intervals