Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

05+ 4wd Replacing u-joints, greasable or sealed?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
05+ 4wd Replacing u-joints, greasable or sealed?

It's about time I replace my u-joints. I finally got around to greasing them and some nice rusty looking water came out. I've heard Spicer is "the word" when it comes to u-joints, Dana uses them from factory. Is there another good brand? How are the Tom Woods Gold Seal?
I know Toyota put greasable ones in for the 4wd models. Should I just stick with greasable or go with a sealed one?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i'd stick w/ greasable. i've seen more people on here have issues w/ the sealed ones.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i'd stick w/ greasable. i've seen more people on here have issues w/ the sealed ones.
Sealed ones are good for 75K-100K miles and then your driveshaft explodes... Ask the pre-runner guys, there's been a few threads on hear about it. I would just get the greasable ones and grease them.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I would never get sealed. Mine have a slight bit of slop after over 90k. If you take care of them they will take care of you.

I flush mine out of the old grease every time I grease them. I don't stop pumping slowly until the grease turns clean.

I carry 4 brand new Moog super strength joints in my spare parts bin with some old pulleys and a old belt just in case.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
What kind are they? I've seen 1330 but that was on a prerunner thread.

MOOG/PRECISION Part # 270 U Joint - Greaseable Super-Strength $15.01

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck
Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I would never get sealed. Mine have a slight bit of slop after over 90k. If you take care of them they will take care of you.

I flush mine out of the old grease every time I grease them. I don't stop pumping slowly until the grease turns clean.

This^ there is a lot of miss information when it comes to greasing U joints most just pump until you see the dirty grease coming out. I too pump slowly until clean grease comes out and ive never had a U joint failure on anything ive owned. They say non greasable are stronger but i dont see any issues running a greasable U joint.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
I want to be able to put some grease in those caps after I take them off and hammer them into the driveshaft!