Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Hella 1000 Install - Switch Works But Not Lights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
Hella 1000 Install - Switch Works But Not Lights

Just installed a set of Hella 1000s and cannot get the damn things to come on for whatever reason. The lights come with a complete wiring harness with relay/fuse. I'm not the best when it comes to wiring but I thought this would be simple enough with the harness provided.

The only thing I am attempting to do differently than the provided instructions is tapping into a source dependent upon the ignition rather than tapping into the high-beams.

I used the sticky'd write up as a guide for tapping into the fuse block. Plugged my adapter into the same source as the wipers...

No idea why photobucket is flipping my photo but where I tapped in is actually the bottom left corner, not the top right.

I put the original wiper fuse (10) into the bottom slot of the adapter and put another fuse in the top slot (3). My switch is getting power and lights up when I flip it on but I'm getting nothing from the lights themselves. Checked the simple things like the cables being attached to the terminals and everything looks good. Even took the lights apart again to make sure all the connections were good, so unless something came undone as I was putting the lights together again, I have have no idea what's wrong.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
Do your Hellas work when the wipers are on?

Just tap into your low beams. I did that with my Hella 700FFs and they worked fine. And yes this means your low beams need to be on to use your lights.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Is your ignition on when you're testing?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quick responses...awesome!

- Lights have good ground.

- The wiper reference is just where I put the fuse tap in. That way the light switch only works when the truck is on, no accidentally draining my battery. The wipers themselves have nothing to do with it.

- Ignition is on when testing. The switch lights up when I flip it to on but nothing from the lights.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #6

Air Force:
For whatever it's worth I can hear/feel clicking in the relay when I flip the switch for the lights.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznor88 View Post
For whatever it's worth I can hear/feel clicking in the relay when I flip the switch for the lights.
Then is the cable that goes from the relay to your lights... Or the fuse, did you check that its not blown? The only thing missing is the power or ground...
Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #8

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepo View Post
Then is the cable that goes from the relay to your lights... Or the fuse, did you check that its not blown? The only thing missing is the power or ground...
I'm going to go take the lights apart AGAIN and make sure everything is connected. I'm hoping its something that simple but I'm also hoping its not something that stupid...
Old 05-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Air Force:
Problem sovled, everything works.

My theory is that somewhere between the connections to the lights being messed up and said connections being fixed, a fuse blew. I say this because I looked everything over before setting in on the connections. After redoing the connections multiple times I checked everything again for the hell of it and had a blown fuse. Whatever, it's fixed now.

Products Discussed in this Thread