Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4wd torque issue

Old 02-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
gohard is on a distinguished road
gohard's Tacoma Gallery
4wd torque issue

Hello All,
Although I am a new Tacoma owner, I have previously owned two Hi Lux's (the Australian 1st gen versions). I now own a new 4 door 4WD with all the options which I bouht for a steal.... because no one in Southern California would buy a six speed manual.
Although I am Totally ecstatic with its stock performance, the reason that has brought me here is that when I engage 4WD (hi or low), it seems that both the front and back are permanently locked. The torque load makes it near impossible to park on the slightest of grippy surfaces. Is this a common issue? Is it a warranty issue? Am I a complete noob/dumba$$ that is missing something completely obvious? Should I be asking this question in a different thread?
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
4 wheel drive should only be used to poor traction instances. The problem you are haveing, sounds to me like the drive train is binding from being used on dry pavement.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
My 08 Tacoma is far more sensitive to transfer case bind then my 2 previous Toyota's were.
My 92 4 Runner even on pavement in 4H you could feel a little stiffness in the steering but that was about it unless you were at full lock on the steering like when parking then you could feel it, with the Tacoma it feels like it crow hops when turning even when on gravel roads, locking it down into 4L you can actually make it stall by turning the wheels hard lock when at low RPM's