1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd torque issue

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gohard, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Feb 22, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    gohard

gohard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello All,
    Although I am a new Tacoma owner, I have previously owned two Hi Lux's (the Australian 1st gen versions). I now own a new 4 door 4WD with all the options which I bouht for a steal.... because no one in Southern California would buy a six speed manual.
    Although I am Totally ecstatic with its stock performance, the reason that has brought me here is that when I engage 4WD (hi or low), it seems that both the front and back are permanently locked. The torque load makes it near impossible to park on the slightest of grippy surfaces. Is this a common issue? Is it a warranty issue? Am I a complete noob/dumba$$ that is missing something completely obvious? Should I be asking this question in a different thread?
    Thanks!

2. Feb 22, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    4 wheel drive should only be used to poor traction instances. The problem you are haveing, sounds to me like the drive train is binding from being used on dry pavement.

3. Feb 22, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    My 08 Tacoma is far more sensitive to transfer case bind then my 2 previous Toyota's were.
    My 92 4 Runner even on pavement in 4H you could feel a little stiffness in the steering but that was about it unless you were at full lock on the steering like when parking then you could feel it, with the Tacoma it feels like it crow hops when turning even when on gravel roads, locking it down into 4L you can actually make it stall by turning the wheels hard lock when at low RPM's

Products Discussed in

To Top