Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Dumbed Down User Manual

Old 05-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
didychuk is on a distinguished road
didychuk's Tacoma Gallery
Dumbed Down User Manual

Not sure if this should be in Technical Chat but I had no other soap box to stand on.

I recently bought a used 2010 4wd, 4 cal, access cab Tacoma and gave my 1997 4wd, 4cyl extra cab to my son. While looking through the user manual that came with the 2010 I was astounded at how simple and useless the books have become. Is this just me or has anyone else noticed the lack of any useful information in the user manual. I can't even find out maintenance frequency for changing spark plugs. Just how dumb does Toyota think users are?

Granted, there are idiots who may need the information in the simplest form possible but why is that the norm?

Thankfully there are forums such as TacoWorld that connects users that put their shoes on the correct feet.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you got shorted on the manuals, but my '12 came with a *library* of manuals. The regular user/owner manual that explained what all the pretty lights are and calls out bulb types, towing, jacking and other precautions, and lists fluid capacities.

Another one listed the maintenance schedule and when to inspect/replace/drain/fill things.

Another one for the Stupid Entune Radio (Lord knows I tried to get a truck without that POS).

And a couple more about warranty and other nonsense.

If you go to toyotaowners.com, I think you can download or search the other manuals that normally come with the truck.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I agree. The manuals that come from the factory in new trucks have pretty detailed information on everything. It sounds like you got shorted on your purchase of the 2010.