Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2013 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport - LSD to E-Locker Doable?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
david stoneburner is on a distinguished road
david stoneburner's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport - LSD to E-Locker Doable?

Has anyone heard of, attempted, or performed an E-Locker rear diff swap/install on a Sport Package (LSD equipped)? Salesman said 'not available'...guessing he's not a mechanic. Any pointers or shop references appreciated.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
On a 13 you don't have a true LSD it is done thru ABS, if you want to goto a elocker why didn't you get a TRD Off-Road. I personally have never seen it done, you would need a complete rear axle, wire harness, switch and ECU. Better off putting an air locker in.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
david stoneburner is on a distinguished road
david stoneburner's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Ryanv. It's silly perhaps, but I suppose I've got mixed priorities. I want the ABS/LSD effect for snow & ice, and I want the locker option for the sand, hills, and pull-out assists...probably should have gotten the TRD OR, but I didn't, so now I have a project on my hands. I've been looking into the ARB for the AL option. Any advice on that front (front vs rear, other makers)?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
The OR has the electronic LSD and abs, works exactly the same as the sport. In 2009 Toyota stopped making mechanical LSD. As for the arb I don't have one in my truck but have seen some where the air line freezes in the winter making the locker unusable. The arb is also a lot stronger then the Toyota e-locker.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Its doable with alot of fabrication. The axle housings are different. Just save up for a ARB locker.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Subtoy is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Subtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Has any one tried putting an early 2nd gen mechanical LDS in a 2013 with the electronic LDS? Is this possible?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtoy View Post
Has any one tried putting an early 2nd gen mechanical LDS in a 2013 with the electronic LDS? Is this possible?

its doable, its just a carrier swap

you could just swap diff to diff
Old 09-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
Just put an arb air locker in it. Stronger than the e-locker and would be easier in the long run.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats View Post
Just put an arb air locker in it. Stronger than the e-locker and would be easier in the long run.
This
Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanv View Post
As for the arb I don't have one in my truck but have seen some where the air line freezes in the winter making the locker unusable. The arb is also a lot stronger then the Toyota e-locker.
I've seen install videos that included a moisture trap in the air line to prevent freezing. It might be neglected often for installs where the compressor powers just the diffs.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats View Post
I did some checking on junkyard parts.. I came to the same conclusion.