1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 Taco wont fire

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by telliottosceola, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jun 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    telliottosceola

telliottosceola [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys. Long time reader first time poster here. I have an 05 tacoma reg cab 4 cyl man trans that just wont fire. I posted a video here on youtube so you can see what Im seeing. Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yd-wW2Jhaw

Thanks guys,
    Travis

2. Jun 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    YotatechMatt

YotatechMatt Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Moncton, NB
    Do you have access to a diagnostic scanner and retrieve codes if any?
    Does the security light go off as soon as you insert your key in the ignition?
    Let me know I'll get back to you

FYI: A fully charged battery has a voltage of 12.6 volts, anything over that is considered a surface charge, turning on your headlights will remove that excess charge. (For battery testing purposes)

3. Jun 5, 2013 at 5:57 AM
    telliottosceola

Member:
    Hey guys thanks for the replies. Found a friend with a fault checker. Ill borough it today and see what it says.
    The check engine light has been on for a while so I cant go by that. Had it checked at autozone and it was somethin about the gas cap. Hopefully there will be a new useful error.

4. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    maykevin5

maykevin5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Carbondale Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    3 inch lift, stainless steps, JL/Focal audio sound system
    try with the gas pedal pressed to the floor, Most likely a crankshaft positioning sensor or another sensor.

5. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    YotatechMatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Moncton, NB
    The gas cap would throw an evap code, that shouldn't affect the vehicle starting

6. Jun 8, 2013 at 4:00 AM
    YotatechMatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Moncton, NB
    Did you get a chance to try out a scanner?

7. Jun 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    telliottosceola

Member:
    Latest news is I attached the scaner and there were no codes. I sprayed some ether in the intake and the truck fired up. I kept trying to start it and keep it going but eventually it just died. So I figured it was the fuel filter and went looking for that. Well turns out its in the tank, so I pulled the truck bed which wasnt bad(6 bolts and remove the rear tail lights). Got the whole pump assembly out which consisted of the pump, float, and filter in a canister. I removed the filter but it still wouldt run so its gotta be the pump not putting out enough pressure. Got one on order and it should be here this week. Ill try to do a video on the installation.

8. Jun 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    YotatechMatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Moncton, NB
    Keep us posted

9. Jun 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Just a little bit of information for you from watching the video.

First: Anyone who has trouble starting a car, or having a noise should do what you did, and that is post a video of what is going on.

Sorry that I took so long to find this posting. When you went to crank the truck and it caught a couple of times and then sputtered, I would have immediately told you to replace the fuel pump. What is happening is the pump is weak, and while it runs, it is not supplying enough fuel flow/pressure to run the truck. One thing though that I will mention that I saw on your video: Your ground cable on the battery is upside down. It is important to have it the correct way because the battery posts are tapered, and an upside down terminal will reduce the surface contact area for the ground. This causes the battery cable to get hot since lower contact area is the same thing as using a thinner gauge wire. I suggest you turn that cable terminal over and reinstall it, or if it has been damaged by being inverted, to replace it.

10. Jun 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    telliottosceola

Member:
    Hey guys.

Just wanted to post an update. I got the new fuel pump, dropped it in there and we are up and running. Didnt think to check fuel gauge before putting the bed back on though and its not reading right, stuck full, probably jammed the float between the pump and wall of the tank or something, a fix for later.

Hopefully this will help someone diagnose and fix this in the future. On that note I want to say that I called every retail auto parts store(Autozone, Orielly's, Napa, Toyota, etc). The cheapest I found the pump from them was $550. However, I did a little looking online and found it for $317 at partsgeek.com Heres a link(its really long for some reason):

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...&fp=pp&gbm=a&gclid=CKKnyPDm_7cCFUJlMgodBw4ASw

Service was good and I had the part in 5 days free ground shipping.

Thanks for all the posts guys.

Products Discussed in

To Top