Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Overheating while ac is on at a stop or slow speed .

Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Overheating while ac is on at a stop or slow speed .

So I got a 05 trd offroad 4.0
Last weekend I was wheeling and it was around 90* outside . I turn on the ac then the temp gauge shot up pretty high . I stopped cranked the heat rolled down the windows and stood outside for 5 minutes . Temp came back down to normal operating temp . Continued the day without using the ac and the truck didn't overheat .
While normal street driving I can use the ac and it doesn't overheat and the ac is cold like it should be .

Things I've checked .
Coolant is full .
Belt is good
No leaks
Ac compressor was replaced when I bought the truck at 40k I now have 100k on it .
Anyone have any ideas . Or things to check ?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Check the fan clutch. With that many miles it may be on the weak side to cool at low speeds.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCUT View Post
Check the fan clutch. With that many miles it may be on the weak side to cool at low speeds.
Thanks buzz . I'm going to look into that today .
Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
lowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Phillip
lowcountrytj's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah fan clutch or time for water pump and flush?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Mr.Jack is on a distinguished road
Mr.Jack's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly sounds like fan clutch to me.i just did mine and it makes a world of difference. You can test it by getting the truck up to operating temp and trying to stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper. If you can slow it to a stop, replace it. 122 $ at advanceauto.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
💥💥💥💥💥💥

johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jack View Post
Honestly sounds like fan clutch to me.i just did mine and it makes a world of difference. You can test it by getting the truck up to operating temp and trying to stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper. If you can slow it to a stop, replace it. 122 $ at advanceauto.
Thanks jack
I'm putting my money on the fan clutch myself . Ill try the newspaper trick in the morning . Did you need to remove the upper radiator hose to replace the clutch ? I guess I might as well replace my coolant while I'm at it.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #7
Mr.Jack is on a distinguished road
Mr.Jack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
Thanks jack
I'm putting my money on the fan clutch myself . Ill try the newspaper trick in the morning . Did you need to remove the upper radiator hose to replace the clutch ? I guess I might as well replace my coolant while I'm at it.
No, just disconnect the shroud for more wiggle room. It's easy. I'll only drain fluid and replace when I do the timing belt since it will be in pieces then.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
💥💥💥💥💥💥

johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Hose the shit out of your radiator. If any mud/dirt is gunked up in there could cuase a major efficiency loss
Ya I tried that earlier in the week . Didn't help . I picked up a fan clutch today. Try to get that in this weekend . Thanks though .