Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Need help ASAP

Old 06-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Need Opinion on Front Axle Swap - ASAP

So a little back story. We went off roading in my wife's Kia Sorento 4x4 about a year and a half ago. We came down pretty hard on the right side, but didn't think anything of it. That may be irrelevant, but figured I'd throw it out there.

So we've been noticing a little uneven tire wear on that side, and a shop recommended changing the wheel bearing about 13,000 miles ago. So I took it into a shop closer to home that I got a better feel for when I had to get her state inspection done. They have also determined that the wheel bearing needs to be replaced, but once they got it off they called to say that I need to replace the front axle on that side.

Does this look like it needs to be replaced? Aside from having the state inspection done there, this is my first time at this mechanic. They told me that the corrosion was too bad to put on the new bearing. I don't know much about axles, but I grabbed it and it feels like there is plenty of meat on the splines.

Are they trying to rip me off, or does this genuinely need to be replaced?

again, it feels good to me but I'm not an expert.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You might get better response and expertise on a Kia Sorrento forum
Old 06-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
You might get better response and expertise on a Kia Sorrento forum
I agree, but they all suck. Nowhere is better than TacomaWorld !

Seriously though. They all seem to charge and the knowledge isn't as good.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at the pic of the axle. It looks like it had some corrosion on the splines, but that can be cleaned up with a wire wheel, and add some bearing grease to the splines upon install, and they would be fine. But it looks like they totally wrecked the axle removing it from the hub. It's obvious that they beat the shit out of it with a hammer to the point where they won't be able to get the hub nut back on with out cutting the end off, and even then, the threaded portion may be wrecked because of their excellent hammer job as well. What they should have done to remove the axle from the hub is, instead of hammering it to the point of no return, they should have used a gear puller to remove the axle, this may have saved it from being useless. Personally, it looks like they are responsible for wrecking the axle, and if you showed a good mechanic this, he would say the same. Good luck, and I hope they are honorable enough to cut a deal with you to replace it.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Looking at the pic of the axle. It looks like it had some corrosion on the splines, but that can be cleaned up with a wire wheel, and add some bearing grease to the splines upon install, and they would be fine. But it looks like they totally wrecked the axle removing it from the hub. It's obvious that they beat the shit out of it with a hammer to the point where they won't be able to get the hub nut back on with out cutting the end off, and even then, the threaded portion may be wrecked because of their excellent hammer job as well. What they should have done to remove the axle from the hub is, instead of hammering it to the point of no return, they should have used a gear puller to remove the axle, this may have saved it from being useless. Personally, it looks like they are responsible for wrecking the axle, and if you showed a good mechanic this, he would say the same. Good luck, and I hope they are honorable enough to cut a deal with you to replace it.
I was so busy looking at the splines and boots I didn't even notice they fucked up the end! That is either really weak metal or they had some gorilla beating on it. Probably both. Unusable now
Old 06-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
I was so busy looking at the splines and boots I didn't even notice they fucked up the end! That is either really weak metal or they had some gorilla beating on it. Probably both. Unusable now
That's what happens when you hit a softer metal with a forged hammer. I've done it to CV's that I knew were trashed, but not ones I was going to re use.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to tell from pic. But, I've replaced cv axles on vehicle and they are pretty cheap (not from dealer or even local mech). I replaced one on an 03 Chevy Tahoe last year, drivers side, got it from Rockauto for $67.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Quote:
Rep to you, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg918514 View Post
Hard to tell from pic. But, I've replaced cv axles on vehicle and they are pretty cheap (not from dealer or even local mech). I replaced one on an 03 Chevy Tahoe last year, drivers side, got it from Rockauto for $67.
From how it looked disassembled, I'm pretty sure I have the confidence to attempt this myself next time. The wheel bearing has to be pressed out, so I can always take it to a shop for that part.

I figure I'll wait until they have it back together to say anything to the manager. I really appreciate y'alls quick responses.

Once again proving why TacomaWorld beats the crap out of every Kia forum I've tried.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2

I noticed the swelled end first. Yep definitely beating on it. As a diesel mechanic I would say the splines were fine if they had just cleaned them up but they owe you a new shaft since they clearly destroyed it in the process and are now trying to pass the buck onto you, claiming it's too corroded. It is corroded but it's hardly a concern. You can see where the seal rides and that's fine.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
*Update*

Well, in addition to needing to replace the axle, they are now saying that they can't get the old bearing out of the hub. I'm now going to be on day 3 with them having the vehicle, as the nearest hub assembly is several cities away. Hopefully they will be done with it tomorrow for nearly 2.5x the original agreed upon price.

He told me that the press they use is rated to 20 tons of force. I thought about taking it to a machine shop and having them press it out, but the guy at the shop laughed at me and told me that was a terrible idea.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
20 tons isn't THAT much in the scheme of presses. A machine shop would probably have a better idea of what they're doing to be honest. I used a 100 ton press on my rear wheel bearings, it started pulling the welds on my press tool apart before we had to try something different. Just saying, they sound like shit heads.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
got the car back last night. my wife said it drive like new on the way to work this morning.

they didn't charge us for labor on the new hub or axle. $172 turned into $460...

I'll be buying a new car for her the next time something happens and keep this one as our "project car."