1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help ASAP

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by CowboyTaco, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jun 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco [OP] $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    So a little back story. We went off roading in my wife's Kia Sorento 4x4 about a year and a half ago. We came down pretty hard on the right side, but didn't think anything of it. That may be irrelevant, but figured I'd throw it out there.

So we've been noticing a little uneven tire wear on that side, and a shop recommended changing the wheel bearing about 13,000 miles ago. So I took it into a shop closer to home that I got a better feel for when I had to get her state inspection done. They have also determined that the wheel bearing needs to be replaced, but once they got it off they called to say that I need to replace the front axle on that side.

Does this look like it needs to be replaced? Aside from having the state inspection done there, this is my first time at this mechanic. They told me that the corrosion was too bad to put on the new bearing. I don't know much about axles, but I grabbed it and it feels like there is plenty of meat on the splines.

Are they trying to rip me off, or does this genuinely need to be replaced?

again, it feels good to me but I'm not an expert.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. Jun 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    You might get better response and expertise on a Kia Sorrento forum :rolleyes:

3. Jun 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    CowboyTaco

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I agree, but they all suck. Nowhere is better than TacomaWorld :D!

Seriously though. They all seem to charge and the knowledge isn't as good. :cool:

4. Jun 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Looking at the pic of the axle. It looks like it had some corrosion on the splines, but that can be cleaned up with a wire wheel, and add some bearing grease to the splines upon install, and they would be fine. But it looks like they totally wrecked the axle removing it from the hub. It's obvious that they beat the shit out of it with a hammer to the point where they won't be able to get the hub nut back on with out cutting the end off, and even then, the threaded portion may be wrecked because of their excellent hammer job as well. What they should have done to remove the axle from the hub is, instead of hammering it to the point of no return, they should have used a gear puller to remove the axle, this may have saved it from being useless. Personally, it looks like they are responsible for wrecking the axle, and if you showed a good mechanic this, he would say the same. Good luck, and I hope they are honorable enough to cut a deal with you to replace it.

5. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    I was so busy looking at the splines and boots I didn't even notice they fucked up the end! That is either really weak metal or they had some gorilla beating on it. Probably both. Unusable now

6. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    That's what happens when you hit a softer metal with a forged hammer. I've done it to CV's that I knew were trashed, but not ones I was going to re use.

7. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    scottg918514

scottg918514 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC, TRD 6-spd Manual, 4wd
    Hard to tell from pic. But, I've replaced cv axles on vehicle and they are pretty cheap (not from dealer or even local mech). I replaced one on an 03 Chevy Tahoe last year, drivers side, got it from Rockauto for $67.

8. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    CowboyTaco

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Rep to you, sir.

From how it looked disassembled, I'm pretty sure I have the confidence to attempt this myself next time. The wheel bearing has to be pressed out, so I can always take it to a shop for that part.

I figure I'll wait until they have it back together to say anything to the manager. I really appreciate y'alls quick responses.

Once again proving why TacomaWorld beats the crap out of every Kia forum I've tried.

9. Jun 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    x2

I noticed the swelled end first. Yep definitely beating on it. As a diesel mechanic I would say the splines were fine if they had just cleaned them up but they owe you a new shaft since they clearly destroyed it in the process and are now trying to pass the buck onto you, claiming it's too corroded. It is corroded but it's hardly a concern. You can see where the seal rides and that's fine.

10. Jun 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    CowboyTaco

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    *Update*

Well, in addition to needing to replace the axle, they are now saying that they can't get the old bearing out of the hub. I'm now going to be on day 3 with them having the vehicle, as the nearest hub assembly is several cities away. Hopefully they will be done with it tomorrow for nearly 2.5x the original agreed upon price.

He told me that the press they use is rated to 20 tons of force. I thought about taking it to a machine shop and having them press it out, but the guy at the shop laughed at me and told me that was a terrible idea.

11. Jun 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    20 tons isn't THAT much in the scheme of presses. A machine shop would probably have a better idea of what they're doing to be honest. I used a 100 ton press on my rear wheel bearings, it started pulling the welds on my press tool apart before we had to try something different. Just saying, they sound like shit heads.

12. Jun 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    CowboyTaco

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    got the car back last night. my wife said it drive like new on the way to work this morning.

they didn't charge us for labor on the new hub or axle. $172 turned into $460...:rolleyes:

I'll be buying a new car for her the next time something happens and keep this one as our "project car.":D

Products Discussed in

To Top