1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cleaned my Throttle Body - Now I have "Too Lean" Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by goufcustom, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Jun 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    goufcustom

goufcustom [OP] 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    I cleaned my Throttle Body the other day (it was extremely dirty) and now I am getting Bank 1 & Bank 2 Running Too Lean Codes. I unplugged the battery to reset the computer, and about 15 miles after that the codes popped up. I cleaned my MAF about 20k miles ago when I installed a AFE CAI with an oiled filter, I am going to clean it again today and see if the issues go away. And check the hoses for a leak after that.

Anything else to check?

2. Jun 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    BnbBlitz

BnbBlitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    over the rainbow
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB 4WD
    could be that oiled filter, or a vacuum leak could be the culprit. Had a vacuum leak on my ranger last week and threw the same code. fixed the problem with a new hose.

3. Jun 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    goufcustom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    I cleaned the MAF and no change, pulled the air filter and it was extremely clean on both sides of the air filter. Put it all back together and started the truck with the hood open to go listen, and I can here a air sucking sound on the drivers side of the engine, tried to locate it but couldn't and didn't spend enough time looking, I will try again tomorrow. Is there a easy way to find the leak? Is there a common place for the leak?

Truck idles at 2k RPM when in Park or Neutral.

4. Jun 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    BnbBlitz

BnbBlitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    over the rainbow
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB 4WD
    There is an easy way to check. Most people don't like this method but it is effective. Take some carb cleaner and spray the vacuum hoses while the engine is running. If there is a leak at a hose, the carb cleaner will slip in and cause the engine to idle to lope. Boom! You have found a leak.

5. Jun 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's possibly a vacuum leak, but it could be due to the butterfly opening.

I'm not a big fan of TBI and MAF cleaning because it seems to cause more problems like this than it solves... and I'm even less of a fan of disconnecting the battery to clear codes, but in this case:

1 - Double check ALL lines and hoses to make sure something was not overlooked during reassembly.
    2 - Double check all electrical connectors. Give every one of them a quick "shove" to make sure they are seated properly.
    3 - Disconnect the battery for a few minutes to force the ECU to relearn the idle throttle and fuel trims. Expect it to be difficult to keep the engine idling smoothly for the first 3 or 4 trips. Wife's Rav4 will nearly die if she doesn't keep her foot on the gas at idle after a battery change.

6. Jun 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Disconnect the battery and go turn the key. Instant residual power drain. No need to wait.

7. Jun 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    goufcustom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    Went back out today, used carb cleaner to look for leaks while it was running, found nothing... the idle settled down to below 1k rpm. Braking is better too, I let it run for about 10 mins and that might have given the computer enough time to learn.

I found one hose that I need to repair but no place is open now, so that is tomorrows task, but the carb cleaner didnt get in to that hose.

I took some video (for the sound, because the visual will likely make you sick...), you can hear a sucking or wooshing sound, is that just the intake manifold sound?
    [​IMG]

Video 2
    [​IMG]

Am I just paranoid....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  8. Jun 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    goufcustom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    How do you reset the check engune light without disconnecting the battery?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  9. Jun 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    Pannell_Trd

Pannell_Trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner Double Cab Trd Sport
    Yellow foglights 20% tint
    clear the code with a scan tool