Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Drilling a bigger hole in 3/16" steel

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Drilling a bigger hole in 3/16" steel

The skidplate holes on my Elite bumper aren't big enough:

Is there a best or good way to drill them out bigger? Is there a special bit for this type of job? Is there a good technique?

I have a hand drill and some experience and drilling steel. Since it is attached to the bumper, not going to be able to stick it in a press.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
The hole looks elongated... Not sure if there is any good way to drill that out. But if you just needed it drilled out for a hole you can use the correct size metal bit to drill it out. Just be careful since it'll want to grab and twist your wrist. Use some lube too, never hurts to use lube in the bit
Old 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
The hole looks elongated... Not sure if there is any good way to drill that out. But if you just needed it drilled out for a hole you can use the correct size metal bit to drill it out. Just be careful since it'll want to grab and twist your wrist. Use some lube too, never hurts to use lube in the bit
Hole at each end and file
Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Never thought of that.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
+1, although a dremel would be faster and my first choice to enlarge the slot.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
+1, although a dremel would be faster and my first choice to enlarge the slot.
I hate Dremels
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Deercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Deercantseeme's Tacoma Gallery
Start drilling the hole in reverse. That way it won't grab and twist around or chip the edges of the drill bit off.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
I'm installing a Budbuilt skidplate and it has elongated holes on it. I should just be able to drill a hole on the bumper tab and the skidplate will give me the play to line everything up.

Unsure of the details but was thinking of clamping some wood or sheet metal on it to start the bit and keep it from jumping. Figured I'd ping you guys that have done more extensive fab activities.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I hate Dremels
One steal your girl when you were younger? lol

Depends on the job, but I do a lot with a dremel.

My favorite bit:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-DW13-Diamon...l+diamond+bits
Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One steal your girl when you were younger? lol

Depends on the job, but I do a lot with a dremel.

My favorite bit:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-DW13-Diamon...l+diamond+bits
Just underpowered
Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
your need a grinder. A dremel will work the same way. I don't recommend a drill though. It will want to catch every 90*
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just underpowered

I agree completely Dremels are for arts and crafts projects not manley steel and iron!!

I do have one that my wife uses for her card making class!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
Just underpowered
Try these, torquey as hell:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2609/=n41531
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the 4000 model

Blah
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
I have the 4000 model

Blah
Sorry, my link didn't have P/N. Not the dremel brand, the torqueshaft ones with foot pedal:

Attached Thumbnails
Drilling a bigger hole in 3/16" steel-grinder.jpg  

Products Discussed in this Thread