Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Question about Motive Brake Bleeders

Old 06-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Question about Motive Brake Bleeders

I have read about the Motive products as being touted as a one person job - is that so? Also, from what I have read it is a pressurized system - how does that affect the ABS? My fear would be the pressure build-up causing problems with the ABS. Does the key have to in the "on" position like when normal bleeding, or is it fine with no power supplied? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
the motive bleeder is a must have for any garage. keep the reservoir topped off, i use my bleeder dry. these things are awesome. ive had mine for a little over 10 years now and use it all the time.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! I have been reading a lot of mixed - but mostly good - reviews on the Motive bleeders. It appears that they don't make one for the Tacoma and we have to use an adapter or the like just for our trucks. I have read quite a few reviews stating that the tops do not seal well and may be able to hold only 5 or so psi without leaking - have any of you had this issue? Also, what one is the best for our truck?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
What is the preferred sequence for bleeding out trucks ? Mine is a 2.7 if that makes any difference. I heard start at rear right - the furthest form the master cylinder and I've head start at the left front - closest to the master cylinder. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
cdk has a spectacular aura aboutcdk has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
cdk's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mostly good luck with mine. It is maybe 3-4 years old.
Did 3 or 4 trucks, put it away for a while and the hose deteriorated some, so replaced the hose.
Also the gauge doesn't work now, so it needs replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
What is the preferred sequence for bleeding out trucks ? Mine is a 2.7 if that makes any difference. I heard start at rear right - the furthest form the master cylinder and I've head start at the left front - closest to the master cylinder. Thanks.
Start at furthest from reservoir, so passenger rear, then driver rear, then passenger front, lastly driver front.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdk View Post
I've had mostly good luck with mine. It is maybe 3-4 years old.
Did 3 or 4 trucks, put it away for a while and the hose deteriorated some, so replaced the hose.
Also the gauge doesn't work now, so it needs replaced.

Start at furthest from reservoir, so passenger rear, then driver rear, then passenger front, lastly driver front.
That's the traditional way I believe. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Thanks! I have been reading a lot of mixed - but mostly good - reviews on the Motive bleeders. It appears that they don't make one for the Tacoma and we have to use an adapter or the like just for our trucks. I have read quite a few reviews stating that the tops do not seal well and may be able to hold only 5 or so psi without leaking - have any of you had this issue? Also, what one is the best for our truck?

I have one of the early Motive Bleeders, and it is the universal type. You do have to work a little bit to get the chain that is provided to tie down the mounting flange to the top of the brake reservoir. If you do mount it evenly and tight enough, you can run the pressure on up to 50 lbs/ sq in. or more. I use the Motive bleeder on My Miata also. It is a good investment if you can not find a friend who will help you bleed the brakes. Good Luck