Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Switch Wiring Help

Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Switch Wiring Help

I'm no electrician, and I recently almost broke some stuff trying to wire up a switch in the truck.

I am wiring up a switch. I stopped before I tried it and want to double check with you guys on here.

Below is the diagram for the switch:

(It's a OTRATTW.com SPDT ON/OFF/ON switch.)

The problem I am having with this one is how to wire up the switch lights:

Can I ground #7 + #9 together somewhere to the frame?

And can I tie #10 + #3 together (upper light with upper outgoing) and tie #8 + #1 together (lower light and lower outgoing)?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
I take it you aren't using a relay? What are you wiring?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
Below is the diagram for the second switch:

(It's a OTRATTW.com SPDT ON/OFF/ON switch.)

The problem I am having with this one is how to wire up the switch lights:

Can I ground #7 + #9 together somewhere to the frame?

And can I tie #10 + #3 together (upper light with upper outgoing) and tie #8 + #1 together (lower light and lower outgoing)?
you can tie your grounds in together but the power source for switch light are independent
Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
you can tie your grounds in together but the power source for switch light are independent
(On the second switch)

Sorry if I am a bit slow at this...

So, does this mean I need to run a power wire to the switch and connect it to #8 + #10?

I can't use the existing incoming power for the lights?

This is what I am wiring:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-dash-mod.html
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i will assume this is for a winch set up?
if not for most switch it would be power from battery to a RELAY
gound to relay
out from relay to light,compressor or what ever u want powered and a wire from # 3 switch on your first diagram in post to relay....
hope that helps
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR007 View Post
Probably should add a relay. Would help you lights or whatever you're powering and your switch last longer.
unsure what he is using it for but alot of leds these days dont draw much power...
but i always use a relay........
just my .02
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR007 View Post
Probably should add a relay. Would help you lights or whatever you're powering and your switch last longer.
Alright, I will look into adding a relay. I need to get a meter and find out what amps its pulling.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
BIG DADDY

Quote:
(On the second switch)

Sorry if I am a bit slow at this...

So, does this mean I need to run a power wire to the switch and connect it to #8 + #10?

I can't use the existing incoming power for the lights?

This is what I am wiring:
first it would help if i know what u were tring to do
Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
first it would help if i know what u were tring to do

^ That

I just haven't encountered a switch that had lights wired independently yet. Learning is fun.

I will look into relays and read a bit more before attempting to give anything power.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #11

Alright, got relays on the power for the camera. That looks like cheap insurance for switches and accessories.

Still not sure where to run power from for the switch lights (#8 and #10 on the diagram). Will any power source due? They are very low amp LEDs.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alright, got relays on the power for the camera. That looks like cheap insurance for switches and accessories.

Still not sure where to run power from for the switch lights (#8 and #10 on the diagram). Will any power source due? They are very low amp LEDs.
Pretty much any power source will work for the LEDs on the switches.

How you wire the LED's is completely dependent on how you want them to function and how you have things currently wired. You want to make sure the LED is switched so it only comes on when the switch is in that position. If you can upload your current wiring diagram for what you have connected, we can tell you where to take switch power from so it'll work out.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #13

Alright! I got it working correctly. I feel smarter now

I tied the top light in with #2, so it comes on only when the camera has power.

I tied the bottom light in with #3, so it is always lit up when the ignition is turned.

I will update my diagram tomorrow when I have daylight and see if you guys thing it will work out.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #14

Doing this: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-dash-mod.html

Switch: http://otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=VVPZCCM-5RC (Rocker: VVPZCCM-5RC)(SPDT Switch: V6D2UHNB)

Here is how it looks right now:

(The IN1 connector is the one that has the rear camera wire in it.)

Success? Suggestions?