Notices

Clutch time

Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Von Himmel is on a distinguished road
Army: Old Iron Sides
Name: James
Von Himmel's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch time

I have a 3.4 TRD and am about to replace my clutch. Any words of help or tips are greatly appreciated! Any How-to's? Any tool lists? Any "easy way to do it"?
Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
There really is no "easy" way to do this. First step is obvious: Remove the transmission. If you are doing this in a shop it will be easier, but if you are tackling it in a driveway, it will pose a bit more of a challenge. You will want to chock the rear wheels to prevent any unwanted movement. Next go through the shifter area to remove the transfer case shifter and the transmission shifter from the top of the transmission. Remove both driveshafts. After that you can use a jack to support the transmission/transfer case while removing the crossmember. Disconnect all electrical connectors from the transmission. remove bellhousing lower cover. Unbolt transmission and remove. Now you have access to the clutch. Most of the bolts you will run into for the entire job will be: 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 17mm.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
There really is no "easy" way to do this.
this^
Dad (a mechanic) changed the transmission in my truck 2(?) years ago in our driveway, it took 3-4 evenings, and i'd assume just swapping trannys was easier then replacing the clutch.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Von Himmel is on a distinguished road
Army: Old Iron Sides
Name: James
Von Himmel's Tacoma Gallery
So here is how I did it: in a drive way with a buddy, lifted the truck up on my old rims for clearance, didn't use a trans jack just used some ratchet straps on the frame, pulled trans tranny, pulled the old clutch out (missing two fingers as well as most of the throw out bearing) replaced it with new one and put it all together. Took us about 24 hours and 30 beers in 90 degree heat but all in all, not too bad. Hardest part was the top blots for the tranny, had to drop the back end of the tcase dow a bit to get access to the two top bolts. Went through the cab with a long extension for them after squeezing my hand up there. No real difficulties doing it, just a pain to get those two top bolts.

If anyone needs more detail for when you have to do it let me know, I can pretty much walk you through it now