1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding Backup Camera Display

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by miller5034, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Jun 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    miller5034

miller5034 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 v6 Double Cab
    I have a 2013 Tacoma Base Model. It is not loaded (but it is prewired). I want to add the mirror with the backup camera display. From my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) the temperature and compass are plug and play and will automatically display in the screen on the mirror where the back camera image will be if the vehicle is in reverse. Once I find a camera to plug into the wiring harness in the tailgate, everything is essentially plug and play.

Is this correct and will it work with the cheapest mirror that has the LCD display I can find, or is there a specific mirror/display I need to make the compass and temperature display work?

Long story short, I don't want to spend x amount of money on the mirror/display and not have the temperature compass when I could have spent x + a few more dollars to get the whole smash.

For brownie points, if anyone has done this exact thing, a PM would be awesome.

Thank you!!!!!!!

2. Jun 30, 2013 at 1:23 AM
    miller5034

miller5034 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 v6 Double Cab
    Bump!

Anyone have any ideas?

3. Jul 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    Basically I'm facing this same situation but on a 2012 4 cyl. double cab. The truck was purchased brand new and was just a standard PreRunner basic but came pre-wired and has all the wire harness'es and the temperature sensor (located between the front grill and radiator) and the rear camera connections, all this has been confirmed.
    Just want to upgrade with the correct toyota part for the rear view mirror upgrade.
    So far, after extensive searching and reading there appears to be only three compatiable part numbers for this. But for me the "only compatiable" part number for this is: 87810-04100, comes with 'auto-dimmer' and also has 'temperature & compass' display as well as display for rear camera capabilities. The only thing that it does not have is 'homelink'.

If you want 'homelink' included then the part number for that is: 87810-04090.

If you want without 'out-dimmer' part number for it is: 87810-06080.

Now, for me, the only delay is in trying to find part number 87810-04100 at a low and reasonable price?
    Currently the going price for these parts are more than $500 bucks! and that's without the camera, Yikes!

Still looking........

Also looking for part number: 84652-02710, at a reasonable low price.
    Currently the going price on this part is around $154 and change. This is the "Intermittent Wiper Switch" that I also would like to upgrade from the basic standard two setting wiper that the 2012 currently has.

If you happen to come across a place that are selling these parts at reasonable and realistic price(s) then please let me know.

Thanks for posting and sharing.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  4. Sep 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    ShortBedTX

ShortBedTX Active Member

Member:
    Setx
    Vehicle:
    Bigdaddie 13
    just tap it into your radio screen

5. Aug 16, 2014 at 1:00 AM
    Armcphail