1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front diff replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Toyota-Dually, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Jun 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    Toyota-Dually

Toyota-Dually [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Holden Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    My front diff is humming. It's not low on oil but I can feel my gears are very worn. I've got 212,000 miles on my 03' double taco TRD and I pull a car trailer, boat trailer and horse trailer and plow with it so I expected this...actually sooner.
    My rear end just went through the same thing so I did a entire hub to hub rear axle swap for a 100,000 unit. Took only a day being a conventional rigid axle.
    The front axle has independent suspension and does not look like a simple drop. Some parts of the suspension look to be bolted to the frame.
    I don't want to just rebuild the pumpkin since the whole unit is 10 years and 200,000 plus miles old.
    I can't seem to get a factory manual so I don't know the unit well enough from just eyeballing it to tell the auto recycler/used parts guy what I need.

What should I replace? How difficult is this going to be? There isn't the wide open room like the rear axle install gives you.
    Thanks David

Products Discussed in

To Top