Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Stant vs OEM Thermostat and rad cap

Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
cr500taco will become famous soon enough

Name: D
cr500taco's Tacoma Gallery
Stant vs OEM Thermostat and rad cap

I am going to be swapping out my radiator and just out of curiosity, I checked out the price on the t-stat at the dealership. The t-stat was a little over $30 without the gasket, which was around $7. Didn't check on the price for the rad cap. I usually buy Stant and the last Stant t-stat I bought was under $10 with the gasket. I am wondering if it's worth paying over three times as much for the OEM?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with OEM just because Toyota makes some good, quality stuff and I'd pick them over other companies. Just my .02 though
Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
I would go with OEM just because Toyota makes some good, quality stuff and I'd pick them over other companies. Just my .02 though
Your .02 counts.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500taco View Post
I am going to be swapping out my radiator and just out of curiosity, I checked out the price on the t-stat at the dealership. The t-stat was a little over $30 without the gasket, which was around $7. Didn't check on the price for the rad cap. I usually buy Stant and the last Stant t-stat I bought was under $10 with the gasket. I am wondering if it's worth paying over three times as much for the OEM?
You're shopping at the wrong toyota sites. Shop around....

I did a quick search online for a t-stat for a 3.4L on partznet.com
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/199...icleid=1279009

I'm pretty sure partznet.com is having 10% off Holiday sale. I'm not sure if the prices shown reflect that...or not.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You're shopping at the wrong toyota sites. Shop around....

I did a quick search online for a t-stat for a 3.4L on partznet.com
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/199...icleid=1279009

I'm pretty sure partznet.com is having 10% off Holiday sale. I'm not sure if the prices shown reflect that...or not.
Thanks for posting that website. I went to another dealer and got a better price for the t-stat and gasket. The last dealer's prices were actually a little better than TM prices with their shipping charge. But, I will bookmark them for future use.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500taco View Post
Thanks for posting that website. I went to another dealer and got a better price for the t-stat and gasket. The last dealer's prices were actually a little better than TM prices with their shipping charge. But, I will bookmark them for future use.
If the online price is cheaper - tell your local dealership about it. Sometimes dealers will price-match. I've done it with my local dealers.

Good Luck!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
If the online price is cheaper - tell your local dealership about it. Sometimes dealers will price-match. I've done it with my local dealers.

Good Luck!
Good point, didn't think about trying to see if they'll beat online prices. That's how I got the prices from the 2nd dealer. He beat the prices of the first dealer that I went to.